Madeleine's Reviews > The Dream Cycle of H.P. Lovecraft: Dreams of Terror and Death

The Dream Cycle of H.P. Lovecraft by H.P. Lovecraft

1198255
Aug 24, 10

bookshelves: what-he-brought-to-the-bearriage, peer-pressure, 2010, our-libeary
Read from July 31 to August 24, 2010

I love how Lovecraft wrote. Really. His word choice, his style, his rampant anglophilia, his imitable style that inspired so many of horror and fantasy's modern-day kings. You can tell the man's got serious talent -- and a truly terrifying imagination, my God -- and it's a right shame that he didn't get the recognition he deserved in his lifetime.

A collection of short stories just wasn't the best introduction to him for me. And it doesn't help that I read this in 30-page chunks spanning more than a month. I mean, the longer stories sucked me in and offered all the development and exploration I wanted from Lovecraft, but the first handful of tales just seemed to end far, far sooner than I wanted them to. But the sheer creepiness and masterful storytelling showcased in this collection definitely makes me want to give Lovecraft's beefier works a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dream Cycle of H.P. Lovecraft.

07/31/2010 page 56
08/23/2010 page 342
86.0% "I would really, REALLY like to finish this today."
show 7 hidden updates…