Quinn's Reviews > Almost Heaven

Almost Heaven by Judith McNaught

Jul 22, 10

bookshelves: library-book, regency-victorian-romance, aar-top-100-2007, aar-top-100-2010, favourites, i-own
Read from July 20 to 22, 2010

I shouldn't have loved this book as much as I did. The regency era is my least favourite historical romance period, and I'm not a fan of the big misunderstanding being relied upon as a primary plot device (and this had a couple of them). I've read only one other 'beloved' McNaught (A Kingdom of Dreams), which I liked well enough, but didn't love.

But. Almost Heaven has found its way into my heart. It's one of those books that gives you (well, me) that indefinable feeling when reading it.

Elizabeth is a young debutante who would rather be admired for her intelligence than extraordinary beauty when she finds herself at the center of a scandal involving our mysterious, roguish and undeniably sexy hero Ian. Cue first big mis and Elizabeth's subsequent social exile.

When Ian and Elizabeth are reunited 2 years later due to a (small) misunderstanding they find their attraction has not waned, but the big mis is initially still in play.

I think one of the reasons I didn't mind the plot device here is that McNaught allows touching scenes between the characters and moments where the passion overrides the big mis, rather than a complete separation of hero and heroine.

Elizabeth and Ian are strong, stubborn and passionate characters, both of whom had issues from their past that resulted in understandable behaviour and a credible explanation for the misunderstanding between them. They have become one of my favourite couples.

And Almost Heaven has become one of my favourite romance reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Almost Heaven.

07/20/2010 page 3
1.0% ""Her hair had...reminded him of the shimmering scales of a beautiful trout as it breaks the water... He would compliment Elizabeth's hair in exactly those words, he decided.." Gee. My hair reminds you of a fish. Um. Thanks?"
07/20/2010 page 94
18.0% "Ian in the cottage.... *sigh* Loving this already."