AH's Reviews > Pale Demon

Pale Demon by Kim Harrison

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: demons, gargoyles, ghosts, urban-fantasy, vamps, witches, zzread-feb-2012, sos-bookshelf-bingo
Read from February 19 to 22, 2012

Pale Demon
I’ve missed Rachel, Ivy, Jenks, and the rest of the Hollows gang. I don’t know why I kept putting off reading this book. The Hollows was one of the first urban fantasy series that I read and enjoyed. In fact, it is one of the series that made me a huge urban fantasy fan.

In Pale Demon, Rachel and the gang are on a road trip from Cincinnati to San Francisco for Rachel’s meeting with the coven and her brother Robbie’s wedding.

Road trip. Can you imagine a road trip with a witch, a vampire, and a pixie? Sounds like the start of a joke. Add in an elf and the possibilities for humor, mayhem and destruction are endless. Just the dialogue in the car had me in stitches. I love how these characters interact.

Trent joins the trip on a top secret elf-quest. Yes, an elf-quest which he must complete over land. Elf-quests require that he be accompanied by a mirror, shield, and sword. Trent decides that Rachel will fit the bill, despite her protests that she will miss her brother’s wedding.

Some of my favorite characters in this series live in the ever-after. I adore Al and Newt was a pleasant surprise. Newt finally got some positive attention and I’m glad we got to know her better. I now understand why she was so unbalanced. I love the author’s depiction of the ever-after. Red soil, dilapidated buildings collapsing but never really falling down, demons, and of course, a demon bar.

Rachel has changed a lot over the course of this series. Her character has grown and matured. She can still act like a loose cannon, but for the most part, Rachel thinks out her options. She now has confidence in her abilities.

I love this series. I’m looking forward to reading the next book - A Perfect Blood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pale Demon.

02/19/2012 page 1
0.0% "SOS Bookshelf Bingo - Favorite series shelf"
02/20/2012 page 146
34.0% ""You don't poke the monster when it's down. You run away." - Words of wisdom from Jenks."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Catie This review brings back so many great memories, AH. I love this one! This is my favorite of the whole series so far. I think that #11, Ever After, is going to be amazing too.

I'm glad there's another Hollows fan around here!

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Oh, the next one has a name? Ever After? Does that mean more Al and Newt? Cool!

Catie YES. I am so excited! I can't wait to spend a whole book in the ever after.

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH That would be awesome!

Daniela Isn't it called A Perfect Blood; and I am already reading it... awesome right away. Chaperts 1-5 are on Kim Harrison's web site

Daniela Oh, I guess that's #10...

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH The next one is called Ever After. Time with Newt and Al.

Daniela Yes, that's #11 though, so you have to read A Perfect Blood in between...

message 9: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Yup. Gotta read that one first.