Quinn's Reviews > Only You

Jul 13, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: library-book, historical-romance, series
Read from June 09 to 10, 2011

Ugh. This really didn't work for me. It's very dated, and I don't like the approach the author seems to be taking with this series.

Matt "Reno" Moran 'wins' Eve in a hard game that she was hustling, before she absconds with the loot and leaves him in a gunfight with Jericho Slater and his henchmen. None too happy about this when he catches up with her, he decides to hold her to the bet she made and drags her along on a quest to find a hidden goldmine.

Sure, Eve didn't really make a good initial impression on Reno, but he is immovable on his opinion that she is a worthless 'Saloon girl' (aka whore), refusing to listen to her explanations or the evidence to the contrary.

Reno proceeds to treat Eve appallingly, insulting her and demeaning her at every opportunity, and refusing to listen to or heed the word 'no'. He won her after all, and means to have her whether she wants him or not.

Naturally, Eve can't help but fall in love with him. Uh huh. It must be the 'silken mustache' that does it. That and the fact that he starts calling her "Sugar girl" throughout (with a couple of reciprocal "Sugar man"'s thrown in). *shudders*

And the love scenes. Ugh. It's all velvet heat, night-blooming flowers, warm or sleek petals, sensual lightening and sultry, scented rain. I could keep going, but I'll spare you.

I really need to get help with my series OCD, because I can't believe I am seriously considering reading the next book so that I don't leave the series unfinished. Yes, I have issues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Only You.

06/09/2011 page 92
25.0% "I really don't know why I'm persisting with this series. I didn't like the last one and I'm tempted to DNF this one. The hero better starting treating the heroine better soon or I'll be cutting my losses."
06/10/2011 page 133
36.0% "*sigh* He's done nothing but insult her, treat her like dirt and ignore he word 'No', but suddenly she's in love with him. :(" 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…