Quinn's Reviews > Comanche Moon

Comanche Moon by Catherine Anderson

Jun 09, 2011

bookshelves: library-book, historical-romance, favourites
Read from May 21 to 24, 2011

Comanche Moon is the kind of epic love story that they just don't write any more. Of course, as my friend Lady Jayne pointed out, they apparently didn't write them even when this book was published. I cannot imagine what editors were thinking when they asked author Catherine Anderson to change her story if she wanted to sell it, but we should be very grateful that she didn't listen.

Most romance readers, like me, will have heard of Comanche Moon even if they haven't read it. It is a classic for a reason - it's good. Very good. Interestingly, I wouldn't necessarily have categorised this as a romance per se. "Epic Love Story" seems to be a much more accurate description. Whatever you want to call it, reading it's an experience worth having.

Catherine Anderson brings her story to life, portraying with gritty realism the journey of being a white woman ripped away from everything she knows and held captive at the complete mercy of the savage Comanches. There are not endless pages of dull, descriptive narrative, but the setting and characters are vividly rendered with great skill.

Another strength is the characters. Not just Loretta and Hunter, who in particular is complex and captivating, but also the cast of secondary characters, each of whom were fully realised and added immeasurably to the story.

I don't know why I waited so long to read this one, but if you've left it languishing on your TBR like I did, it's time to dig it out and go on this adventure. You wont be sorry you did.
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comanche Moon.

05/24/2011 page 468

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Hi Quinn! Oh, I'm interested to see what you think of this one! As you know, I loved it. xx

Quinn Hi Jayne! I loved this one, too! They just don't write 'em like this anymore. xx

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Quinn wrote: "Hi Jayne! I loved this one, too! They just don't write 'em like this anymore. xx"

Oh, Yay! I look forward to your review of it, Quinn.

Well... they didn't write 'em like this, back when Catherine Anderson was trying to get this published, either. It was so hard for her to get it published. I absolutely love how she didn't give up on this story!

Lisa Kay Wonderful review, Quinn! Every word true. CA has written some beautiful stories, but this one is her masterpiece.

Quinn Thanks, Lisa Kay! I'm really looking forward to reading more by this author. That's one good thing about leaving it so late - I have lots to look forward to!

message 6: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Jun 11, 2011 05:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Wonderful review, Quinn! I'm so happy you loved this, too. And I agree, this is an "epic love story".

Quinn wrote: "There are not endless pages of dull, descriptive narrative, but the setting and characters are vividly rendered with great skill.

One of the many strengths of this novel is that the author remained true to the setting and the characters. This was a harsh landscape populated with harsh people (both the whites and the Native Americans) where violence was common place. Nothing is prettied up for the reader, and that makes for a very gripping, immersive, emotional experience."

I totally agree! As well about all the characters. This is an unforgettable keeper of an epic tale.

Quinn Thanks, Jayne! I did love it. One of my increasingly rare 5 star reads, and a definite keeper.

message 8: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Jun 12, 2011 01:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Quinn wrote: "I'm almost scared to keep going with the series - I don't want to be disappointed and the others seem to get such mixed reviews."

Quinn, I still loved the next two. I have yet to read the last. They don't have that epic love story feel that Comanche Moon had. They have more of a "Romance" feel but still well-written and with depth... IMHO, anyway. I still have to review them. Gah! I think if you go into them not expecting them to be like Comanche Moon, then you'll be 'right. Catherine Anderson continues to remain true to the Comanche beliefs of the time, and so some things that Hunter says in these next two books upset some readers.

Quinn Thanks, Jayne. I will forge ahead, then! I like the fact that the author remains true to the Comanches, so I doubt I will be upset as some readers were. Thanks for making sure I go into them with revised expectations. :)

message 10: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Jun 11, 2011 08:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Quinn wrote: "Thanks, Jayne. I will forge ahead, then! I like the fact that the author remains true to the Comanches, so I doubt I will be upset as some readers were."

I hope you enjoy them, Quinn! And what I meant is that the CA remains true to the Comanche beliefs and culture, and I saw some reviews where readers have not necessarily agreed with Hunter's views and decisions (esp. when viewed through today's, and the feminist, perspective) and this affected the love they had for him in Comanche Moon. But I just saw it as being part of his culture and beliefs. I hope that clarifies.

Quinn Oh, I knew what you meant, Jayne! I had already read some reviews so I have an idea of the incident and his reaction. My revised expectation was around the subsequent books being more like typical "Romance" (and you know I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing!)