Lynn's Reviews > Dangerously Funny: The Uncensored Story of "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour"

Dangerously Funny by David Bianculli

Jul 19, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from July 13 to 19, 2010

This book was very interesting. I stayed up until 4 in the morning finishing it up rather than put it down. The book will be even more interesting after I watch Smothered, the documentary about how the brothers were fired and the series on DVD. I discovered why season 3 of the Smothers Brothers came out on DVD first. Tommy thought of it to throw people off and again not play by "the rules". Season 2 and 3 are out and season 1 will come out last. I appreciated the description of the show, the business of television at the time and the political world swirling outside the television studios which they choose to ignore. I also was interested in the story of how CBS decided in 1971 to do away with shows that dealt with rural America in a time called the "rural purge". The Beverly Hillbillies, Mayberry RFD, and The Red Skelton Show were done away with and shows such as MASH and All in the Family were brought in. Very interesting. I recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerously Funny.

07/13/2010 page 1
0.0% "I am starting this book tonight, along with watching a documentary on the show and a DVD of the show I picked up."
07/13/2010 page 2
1.0% "I read the introduction too!"
07/17/2010 page 22
6.0% "So far (1 chapter) this is a really enjoyable book."
07/18/2010 page 34
9.0% "I never knew that Bob Newhart was the first person to have a Billboard #1 comedy on the charts."
07/18/2010 page 60
15.0% "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour is beginning against the "monster" show Bonanza. The worst slot in television."
07/18/2010 page 82
21.0% "Testing censors."
07/18/2010 page 214
54.0% "I really like this book. Need to watch the show and documentary too."