Brian's Reviews > Allegiance

Allegiance by Timothy Zahn

Jul 21, 10

Read from July 13 to 20, 2010

A pretty unique Star Wars story. I liked the idea of a small core of stormtroopers "deserting" because they see the Empire as corrupt. Puts a human face on the Imperial troops instead of them all being numbered clones like in the movies. Timothy Zahn's stories are almost always better than the other authors in the SW novel universe...he brings better depth, better characters and an attention to detail that is not as prevalent in other novels.

The only weak element in the story, I thought, was the inclusion of main SW characters--Han, Chewie and Luke...it was almost like the author felt compelled to add them so that it had more credibility with the SW fans. Unnecessary. Would have been better had they not played a central (and totally distracting) role in the story, but instead made a cameo appearance instead. I have noticed that with other authors as well--it's like they feel compelled to include the favorite characters from the movie, but many of the SW fans actually enjoy some of the details from outside of that world. The Force does not revolve around only those characters! Jeesh.

But overall it was a great read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Allegiance.