Carrie's Reviews > Winter Roses

Winter Roses by Diana Palmer

Jul 28, 10

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2010, western, small-town
Read from July 27 to 28, 2010

I don't get this author's popularity. I keep trying her books, but keep getting put off by info dumps, characters who say the stupidest things, melodramatic scenes, shallow story lines, obnoxious heroes (though not in this book, thankfully), and short choppy sentences.

I have a couple more on my to-read list, but I'm thinking maybe not.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Roses.

message 1: by Norma (new)

Norma Hmm. Snarky review. ;) Actually, I keep hearing people reading her books, but they never seem to sound worth reading. I guess I'll continue to skip her.

message 2: by Carrie (last edited Jul 28, 2010 07:23PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Carrie Good idea, Norma. Palmer has many, many fans, so she won't miss us. And we have plenty on our to-read lists, so we won't miss her! ;-)

message 3: by Norma (new)

Norma Yes. You should read Cry No More instead. Just do so with tissues. :) Actually I'll be curious to hear what you think of it when you do read it. Jane rated it low if I'm not mistaken.

Carrie Okay! I'll bump Cry No More up in line, grab some tissues, and read. ;-)

message 5: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Carrie - there are many of us who also wonder why people love her since she writes the same not-so-good story over and over with a naive, old-fashioned heroine, a mean hero (either rancher or ex-military) and some ridiculous storyline thrown in that doesn't make much sense but has lots of drama.

Carrie Some of Palmer's heroes are verbally abusive at the very least. Unfortunately, I have more than one friend who has dealt with husbands like this, and they don't change. I can't buy the sudden turn-about or the HEA with those kinds of "heroes."