Kristen's Reviews > Where There's a Witch

Where There's a Witch by Madelyn Alt

Nov 08, 10

Read from November 04 to 08, 2010

** spoiler alert ** another cute little story. These aren't exactly Agatha Christie mysteries... the culprit is normally pretty obvious, but they are still a fun little read. Maggie is a sweet character and the others that have become part of her circle are too. The prejudice that she and Liss face is a little frustrating, but it was good in this book to see her stand up to her mother a little (and it was just a little). It was also nice to see the Marcus/Tom thing come to a head at the end of this book. One of the more refreshing parts of these books is the acknowledgement that having all these crimes happen in one small town is a little weird. That way, you don't have to wonder why all the rimes always happen in cabot cove (at least, I used to wonder that with the Murder She Wrote stories). It would be nice to see a little more magic and romance, but then maybe these wouldn't be classified mysteries. They are quick reads, cute little plots, and the characters and the settings feel very midwestern. In some ways, its a relief to read some stories that don't take place in NYC.

In this installment, Maggie ends up, again, in the wrong place at the wrong time when she and her friends discover a dead body at the site of a fair/future church addition. Still reeling from the ramifications of her sister's big mouth, and the lack of business that means for Enchantments, she ends up first witnessing an argument or two with the woman who becomes the victim and then she ends up on site when the dead body is found. Tom, as usually, takes issue with Maggie being there and lets her know his frustration. Like in all the other books, she and her band of N.I.G.H.T.S. (although not through a formal NIGHTS event) figure it out. She ends up thrown into a scary situation with Marcus, and they finally come together. The murder is solved, tied up in a nice bow, like usual, and we are left looking forward to the next installment.

There was a little less of Liss in this book - and that was disappointing since she is my second favorite character. But, I expect we will see more of her in the future. Off to get the next one....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where There's a Witch.