Julie's Reviews > Magician's Gambit

Magician's Gambit by David Eddings

Jul 13, 10

bookshelves: scifi-fantasy
Read in July, 2010

** spoiler alert ** The travelogue/fluffy fantasy adventure continues. In book three, Our Heroes chase the Orb of Aldur through Maragor (swampy wasteland), the Vale of Aldur (home to the god of the same name), Ulgo (underground caverns whose residents haven't seen the sun for 5,000 years), and Cthul Murgos (home to the main evil race of the series). The first two chapters were particularly frustrating, because they're written from the perspective of Ce'Nedra, spoiled teenage princess of Tolnedra. Garion was *just* starting to get the hang of what was going on, so obviously Eddings needed to toss the point of view to a character even more clueless than him. Thankfully, the point of view shifts back to Garion after a while, so we only have one angsty teenage protagonist.

In book 3, Garion progresses in his sorcery, finally accepting instruction from people who know what they're talking about. Though they continually have to tell him not to be impulsive in his magic-using.

Magician's Gambit ends on quite the cliffhanger. (SPOILER ALERT!) Our Heroes make their way to the throne room of the evil magician Ctuchik (who's name I still haven't figured out how to pronounce). There's a large magic battle between Belgarath and Ctuchik, in which Ctuchik accidentally "unmakes" himself in the heat of the moment (a moment of great disappointment to me -- he broke the very first rule that sorcerers learn, and he really should have known better). In the aftermath, the throne room separates from the rest of the city, plunging to its doom, while Our Heroes jump into a cave with the Orb of Aldur and a young, innocent boy that Ctuchik was using to his own nefarious purposes. What happens next? Who knows? I'd better get started on book 4.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magician's Gambit.