Angel 's Reviews > The Photographer

The Photographer by Emmanuel Guibert

190365
Aug 04, 10

bookshelves: biography-and-memoir, current-affairs, graphic_novels_and_comics, history, politics-and-political-science
Read from August 02 to 04, 2010, read count: 1

This is definitely one of the best books I have read this year. Like Robert speaking of the Afghans he lived and worked among, for reading this book, I feel a bit less dumb than I would've been. This book is not only a travelogue, but it is a piece of history as well. The story takes place during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, and it is in that country that MSF is doing their work. Didier the photographer goes into the country not knowing a whole lot to be perfectly honest, and he grows personally in the process. While doing so and documenting the work of the MSF, he gives us a glimpse of a country that is at times beautiful and ruthless. We meet a cast of characters that let us see both the good and the bad in the people and the country.

The strength of this book lies in the wonderful combination of photos and the art by Guibert and Lefevre. This is a moving story. It is a gripping story; once you pick it up, you may find it hard to put it down. The photos are just great. I do have to warn readers that some of the photos may be a bit gruesome, but that is just part of the story. This books definitely deserves to get more attention and have more people read it. Overall, the book is a great reading experience.

In terms of appeal factors, readers who read this may also enjoy books like Three Cups of Tea, which I read and reviewed here.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Photographer.

08/03/2010 page 83
29.0% "Got through the first part of the book. This is an excellent book so far. Great use of photos and art. Moving at times. The part about the Muslim being sad one of the doctors is not Muslim, thus that they will go to different heavens, was moving, even for this heathen."
08/04/2010 page 170
59.0% "The photographer begins the journey back home. Before that, we learn more about women in the region, local customs, and we see the doctors in action. Some very moving photos, some gruesome, but worth it. This is definitely an excellent book so far. I will be recommending it to everyone I see."
08/04/2010 page 242
84.0% "Continues his journey. An escort abandons him, finds himself alone. Another group seems to take him in, but rob him. And in the end, he finds salvation and hospitality where he least expect it. Lessons in humility, treating others as you would be treated, and also in reminding us it is about who you know and the true friends along the way."