Marjorie Ingall's Reviews > Writing in the Dark: Essays on Literature and Politics

Writing in the Dark by David Grossman

Jul 13, 2010

Read in July, 2010

Beautifully written and impressively translated. I haven't read Grossman's fiction (I know, I know) but a friend recommended this collection to me and I'm so glad. Grossman is a huge figure in Israel -- novelist, short-story writer, outspoken liberal, public intellectual. Two days after Grossman and two other writers, Amos Oz and A.B. Yehoshua, held a press conference urging Prime Minister Ehud Olmert to reach a ceasefire agreement, Grossman's 20-year-old son was killed in the 2006 war with Lebanon. Loss imbues this whole book. Grossman is still so engaged with Israel -- he hasn't checked out. And he writes with such loveliness about the kinship he feels with other writers, invisible to him, in strange and war-torn places around the world. When I'm sad and frightened, I tune out. I admire Grossman so much for not doing that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writing in the Dark.

message 1: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin Thanks for this recommendation. I read See Under: Love a million years ago and it's almost like I didn't by now....A few years ago I read Oz's memoir A Tale of Love and Darkness, which I thought was marvelous.