Ellie's Reviews > Call Me Irresistible

Call Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Jan 24, 11

bookshelves: favorites, family-series, texas, contemp-romance, geek-hero, sep
Read from January 20 to 22, 2011

What an amazing ending. And by that I mean specifically the last 4 sentences.

5 stars for this one because I couldn't put it down and I really became consumed by the story.

It's been a long time since I've read a great book like this. SEP's better books are charming and hilarious but also a bit heart breaking. The storylines are dense and the characters are multi-dimensional, often making them annoying at times.

This was one of SEP's better books. And I haven't read one of her better books in a long time. The last book she released (ages ago) wasn't very strong in my opinion, and a lot of her other amazing books I read in a cluster all at once years ago. So it's nice to read some new, great material.

I HATED Ted in the beginning, that only grew to a mild acceptance of him. I didn't dislike him because he's a brat and treats Meg like garbage, his actions sort of add to Meg's allure in how she deals with him and it did build an interesting sort of chemesty. To be honest, I never took to the wunder-child in other books, and that's really the bud of my dislike for him. I appreciated his role in Fancy Pants, but was unimpressed by his older self in Lady Be Good. I didn't read this book for Ted, I read it for Meg. I liked the glimpses of Meg we saw in What I Did for Love, but even more so, I liked what was going on with Meg in the preview chapter that was released for this book. That's what made me excited for the read.

Meg does not disappoint. I found her utterly charming and lovely right from the beginning. I once watched an interview where SEP says that her heroines are strong but that we might not always like them right from the beginning (cough-Francesca,-Fluer,-and-the-main-character-from-kiss-an-angelr-cough) but that wasn't the case with Meg. I loved her. Love love love! She could have really wallowed in deserved self pity, but she doesn't. And she is absolutely hilarious. I had to put the book down to relive reading, "She made a grand gesture toward the recliner. 'I’ve taken a new lover. Sorry you had to find out like this.'" in regards to moving in with Skeet. That's my type of humour. She's was a really well written character. Plus she spoke to me. I'm not in her shoes in many respects, but I am trying to find my 'passion' and figure out my 'calling'. So I could relate to her all-over-the-place-ness.

Love love love love LOVED Meg! Can't say the same for Ted or for a lot of the old characters that pop up in this book, but that might just be what makes it good. The story stirred up so many feelings and opinions. I really became passionate about those opinions I held. That type of interaction doesn't happen often from reading romances (at least not for me).

In the end: the storyline was great, Meg was magnificent, and even though the romance left a bit to be desired (i.e. no hot romance/sex scenes, no amazing declarations that really just hit the spot, sort of clumsy interactions from the conceded hero), this books was fabulous.

In my opinion, this book was a lot better than 'What I Did For Love' and probably as strong as favourites from the Chicago series and other gems from SEP's classics.

I'll be re-reading some of my fav. SEP books over the next while (not including Lady Be Good, because I reread that while reading this to refresh who Torie was).
22 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call Me Irresistible.

01/20/2011 page 20
01/20/2011 page 81
21.0% "I like coming back to SEP's world of golf! There were too few golfing books."
show 1 hidden update…

Caty Wow, awesome review Elena, this book sounds really good!
I loved her Chicago stars series, and I've wanting to read more of her books, but I can't figure the order, is there even one?

Ellie There is and isn't an order. The books are decades apart in terms of the characters. On Susan Elizabeth Phillips site she sort of shows how the books are related: http://www.susanephillips.com/book_di...

Hope that helps.