Jennifer (aka EM)'s Reviews > Silence

Silence by Shūsaku Endō
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silence.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

jo FANTASTIC priest in this.

Jennifer (aka EM) :-) I created a special shelf for him/them. (I think you and Mike have read *everything*)

message 3: by jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

jo EM, seriously, you shouldn't even put me in the same sentence as mike. mike lists only a third of the books he's read. anyway, of course i've read this! it's about a priest!!!!

message 4: by jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

jo HAHAHAHAHAHAH @ the missionary position! i just saw it. you are ceridwen are the FUNNIEST goodreaders evah!

Jennifer (aka EM) OMG, I only wish I was half as funny (and insightful) as Ceridwen!

And all I know is every time I find a book kinda sorta on my own, you, Mike or both of you have read it (he hasn't listed this one...yet). ;-)

We all need our goodreading heroes to emulate, I guess........

Jennifer (aka EM) ... you gave it 5 stars, too! Wow!

message 7: by jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

jo as a catholic, i found the theological dilemma in the second part to be entirely fascinating. also, i found endo's treatment of it to be masterful. i lurv it when LIVED religion comes to irreconcilable odds with doctrinal religion. you know, like in the case of the nun who authorized an abortion and was henceforth excommunicated. i wish graham greene were still alive to write a book about her. if he wrote books about women, that is. :(

you are incredibly funny, EM. and smart. i guess you are one of my GRing heroes. yeah.

Jennifer (aka EM) That poor woman. I agree the dilemma is a fascinating one. How does she reconcile the acts of her church towards her with her own faith? How heartbreaking for her. I haven't read Graham Greene ... he's on the list! The ever-growing list....

(thank you for the compliment. I just try to keep up. I have a special new PPT chart for you that I will post on the weekend. hehehe)

message 9: by jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

jo what's PPT? i know i should know but i don't. :(

i think the nun's dilemma was, what would christ do here? and i think she decided that christ would save the woman instead of letting her die (which, incidentally, would have killed the fetus too, but let's not let this small detail get in the way). it seems to me that's what christ would have done, too. the guys in the archdiocese, though, are woefully out of touch with the reality of live human beings and really in touch with the threat that is coming to the church by, like, life? so they chucked this fabulous servant of god and humanity and fed her to the wolves. shame on them.

Jennifer (aka EM) Shame on them indeed. The paragraph contrasting the church's treatment of pedophiles with their treatment of this ***health care provider*** is particularly chilling.

PPT = powerpoint. Only the fanciest pie charts for you, jo.
:-D