Sandy's Reviews > A Tale Dark & Grimm

A Tale Dark & Grimm by Adam Gidwitz

Dec 10, 12

bookshelves: action-adventure, fractured-fairy-tales, juvenile-fiction
Read from February 26 to March 04, 2011

As I'm sure that my Goodreads followers have probably noticed by now, I'm a big fan of fractured fairy tales. The fact that I like to start my reviews for most books of this genre by stating this fact was probably a good clue. Because I read so many books in this genre, I'm sometimes skeptical of the ones with really obvious titles. And I'll admit - puns with the word "grim/Grimm" aren't exactly original, so they make me nervous. Still, I'll give just about anything with fairy tale connections a try and A Tale Dark and Grimm came well-reviewed, so the book remained on my to-read list for a good seven months before the copy I ordered for the library was finally delivered and processed.

In the end I have to admitt that this book was very clever. It's one thing to know from the description that this book takes several of the Grimm's darkest, bloodiest fairy tales and expertly molds them together. It's another thing entirely to actually read it. What really makes this book work is the awesome narration that surrounds the story - the author/storyteller has several asides where he provides commentary and warns readers of the gruesome things to come, kind of a la Lemony Snicket. It's pretty awesome. Best of all, this style of narration and the goryness of some of these tales helps to make the fractured fairy tale genre a bit more accessable to those who doesn't exactly go gaga over princesses.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale Dark & Grimm.