Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Some Girls Bite

Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill

Aug 18, 10

bookshelves: kat-s-book-reviews
Recommended for: Fans of Kate Daniels and similar books.
Read from August 15 to 16, 2010

Okay, so I've changed this review as a series overview.

I have a list of favourite series and this one has easily pushed its way on there with Darkfever, Bittenand Magic Bites.

What I really enjoy about this series:

Merit does not choose to be a vampire but she lives with the changes made in her life and adjusts with as much dignity as she can.

She deals intelligently and confidently at all times. She does not stupidly talk out of her ass. *cough* Rose, Vampire Academy*cough*

It's actually quite refreshing to read a character so mature and who holds herself up with dignity.

I enjoy Ethan's character because his relationship with Merit is not joyfully accepted by all of those around her. He's a 400 year old vampire and not prone to easily accept emotions and humanity. Merit constantly questions whether he is a good part of her life and how her relationship with him has changed her and whether she wants to change. This kind of self reflection - was an absolute delight for me when compared to other books where the heroine's thought processes were, "OMG! He's so hawt! We arez ment to be 2gether 4EVA! SCEWZ everyone else!" *Cough* Bella Twilight *Cough* Luce Fallen *cough* Nora Hush, Hush *Cough*

The political manuevering between the supernaturals, humans, ombudsman etc is interesting to me and it actually is thoughtfully executed. The last two books had endings that I hadn't predicted and a mystery that I didn't actually manage to figure out ahead of time which was VERY much appreciated!

Ethan is an ass - but Merit gives back as good as she takes and even though they're supposed to be in a Master/Servant relationship but they quickly end up as equal partners. Her ideas are respected and - novelty, she actually makes intelligent choices! *cough* mostly *cough*

There were strong, positive female relationships in this book. It's nice to have a character who can be surrounded by other hot, confident women without issue.

So, overall, these books were fantastic for me. I've spent three almost sleepless nights reading the books because I simply couldn't put them down until finished. For me, that's the mark of a great book!

PS. Oh, and did I mention the sexiness? Oh the sexiness!

Okay, now that I'm done - back to dancing!

*Dances*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Girls Bite.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatiana (last edited Aug 17, 2010 10:04AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tatiana Thanks for the dance. LOL. But could you at least tell us if any "schmexing" took place? As if you don't know what we read vampire books for.

Kat Kennedy Schmexing (so my favourite word) takes place in the third book though there is sexy build up in this and the second book.

It's....hawt... *eyes glaze over* *wipes away drool*

Tatiana OK, I am sold.

Do you need some cough drops, BTW?

pauliree On your review I have started this series and absolutely loving it so far

Kizi180 I always like you reviews, we think the same way.

message 6: by Anjali (new) - added it

Anjali Starting it today based on your review - we share favorites.

Kat Kennedy Oh! I don't know if I'd recommend this series anymore!

Amanda The Book Slayer Magic Bites is the best! All other books must bow down. :0)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

teen urban fantasy seems to boring and repetitive, but this book seems to catch my interest.

message 10: by Anna (new) - rated it 1 star

Anna Weird. I can usually see what you mean even if I disagree. But on this one??? Perhaps the US /UK books have the same cover and contain different novels :P

message 11: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha ("Call me Tris") Hmmmm I'm not really a vampire person because my first vampire book happened to be twilight (how am I still alive) but I think this sounds promising enough...

Ingrid Alright, that's it. I am officially in love with you. Be my friend now, please. (Or you will be forcing me to take dire measures and become your stalker forever.)

But seriously, I love your reviews. They usually make me laugh my ass off, and I sometimes enjoy reading them more than the actual book. Plus, they are so truthful that even when I gave a book a different rating and would not change it, I can't bring myself to disagree with any, because any critiques you make are rightfully done and explained. Cause, you know, you're that awesome.

Kat Kennedy Don't fall in love with me! I'm a monster who seeks to destroy you with my affections!

message 14: by Jinx (new)

Jinx J'k Why?

message 15: by Madelyn (new) - added it

Madelyn Blake I enjoyed rose from vampire academy. It's better to be passionate about the things you want instead of hiding them inside. Now I maybe just saying this because like rose I "stupidly talk out of my ass" and have a nasty temper. So maybe it's just the matter of characters I best relate to.

Mariepazmd Matched up against Darkfever and Magic Bites??? I have to read this series now.