Milly's Reviews > Torment

Torment by Lauren Kate

May 09, 11

bookshelves: angels, teen-romance, young-adult, series
Read from April 21 to May 03, 2011

TBR Reduction Pile Challenge

Audible Review

I am quite relieved that I picked up the audible version of Torment for I think it was one of the reasons I was able to finish it. The book version contains 452 pages at least, and I think I would have had a difficult time getting to the end. I found that most of the book contained Luce's ramblings, inner turmoil and confusion about Daniel, and could have been at least 100 pages shorter. Usually when I get the audible version, the narrator makes the book a lot more palatable and more personal. Unfortunately for this one, the narrator, Justin Eyre, didn't accomplish this feat. Her voice sounded monotone and almost put me to sleep. She was not skillful enough to give each character a different and distinct voice, making it difficult to decipher which character was speaking and endless rewinds in my car. I've heard her narration before and was not impressed even then. Be warned if you see her name.

So onto the book. I'm not too happy with Luce's character in this installment. Not only is she more confused but she also seemed to have lost her own free will and clarity of thought whenever she was around Daniel. With one kiss from Daniel and she's lost her ability to think clearly and sensibly. And as for Daniel, he used this power over Luce relentlessly and abusively! He kissed her on purpose to shut her up so she doesn't ask anymore questions to get some clarity about her past! Not admirable at all. He knew this and kept doing it! That's not love. That's control. This is the reason why I welcomed the introduction of a new character, Miles, a Nephilim, whom Luce meets at her new school, Shoreline. Though a Nephilim, he's just like a normal teenager and Luce could feel comfortable and be herself when she's in Miles' company. I almost wanted Luce to end up with Miles because at least with him around, Luce can actually have her own thoughts and think clearly without Daniel's magic muddying her thoughts. Though even then, she kept putting herself in compromising situations, trying to get into the shadows to see her past lives. I almost felt sorry for her.

I found this book very slow paced with its story building. The book starts with a truce made between Daniel and Cam for 18 days wherein they work together to find those who are out to get Luce, such as the outcasts and the Elders. But, 18 days seems so long as not much happens from day 1-16. There's a little bit of action happening here and there but not enough to move the story forward. Thank goodness I have the audible version once again! The imminent war finally comes knocking in the end and I'm finally relieved that it came. Lauren Kate could have saved us all at least 150 pages of drag.

I did like this more than Fallen because it did clear up some things for me. However, I wasn't too pleased with the ending. Come on, not another cliffhanger! Unfortunately, it worked and I will probably be picking up the next installment just to find out what happens with everybody. I'll definitely be getting the audible version again and hopefully Lauren Kate chooses a different narrator this time around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torment.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Great review hun!

message 2: by Nomes (new)

Nomes fab review milly.

shame about another cliffhanger! Authors must think we like cliffhangers or something, haha.

message 3: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ I've never meet a cliffy like the one in Fallen. I liked the first book, but I'm gonna wait till it's complete to even attempt the rest:)

message 4: by Lora (new) - rated it 1 star

Lora OMG I positively hated Luce in this. (Hence the 1 star rating.)

Great review, hun:)

message 5: by Nomes (new)

Nomes 1 star Lora, hehe. My lib has this but i am fairly unmotivated to get it. the first was okay. a bit too long. and Cam was way more hotter and interesting than daniel (to me) so it annoyed me that Luce couldn't see that, LOL.

message 6: by Lora (new) - rated it 1 star

Lora I didn't really like Fallen, so I'm not sure why I decided to read Torment.

Alas, I will not be reading Passion.

message 7: by Nomes (new)

Nomes looks like Lucy gets anorexia in Passion

you know, judging by the cover, haha.

message 8: by Lora (new) - rated it 1 star