Milly's Reviews > The Iron King

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

May 18, 11

bookshelves: faeries, young-adult, series, teen-romance
Recommended to Milly by: oliviasbooks
Read from May 07 to 13, 2011, read count: once

TBR Reduction Challenge for May

So, this review will be short and sweet. I read it concurrently with a very powerful book and skewed my outlook of this book. It's not this book's fault but when matched up with a book like Split, all I can conjure up for this book is a 3. I liked it BUT I didn't love it.

I did enjoy it and found the plot about the Iron King refreshing and original in addition to your typical fey storyline. However, I didn't and couldn't relate to any of the main characters of The Iron King. Meghan's character felt flat for me. She didn't inspire any deep emotions within me. I didn't identify with her at all. Her deep feelings for Ash felt shallow. Her feelings for him would have made more sense if they were given more time to develop and feel more real. A kiss here and there just wasn't enough for me to justify undying devotion. However, with how this book ended, I feel like the sequel will pick up where their relationship left off and a more substantial development of their relationship will commence. I hope to see more of them together in the second book.

Robbie and Grimalkin were my definite favorites of this book. They were my source of fun and entertainment and intrigued me throughout the story. I hope to see more of these two in the sequel as well.

Definitely likable and with lots of potential. Hoping for more in the second book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron King.

05/07/2011 "May's TBR Challenge" 4 comments
05/11/2011 "Wait...is this a triangle forming? Puck-Meg-Ash?" 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nomes i felt much the same as you milly. only i felt quite bored a lot of the time, haha (which is why i went with 2 stars).

are you going to read more of the series?

Milly Yeah coz I have the 2nd book already courtesy of darling Arlene. :) You?

Nomes no... i don't have the second book but the first didn't really do much for me. it was okay ~ just not really my thing...

oliviasbooks What me to pick a second challenge book or rather no?

Milly Probably won't have time Olivia since we have to read Abandon on Monday. I have 2 this week still to finish before I could start Abandon. But I'll definitely be ready for one in June! Thanks!

message 6: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Great review Milly. I think the series get betters as you go along. I hope you like the next book more :)

Milly Thanks Nic! That's at least encouraging. Maybe Nomes will be inclined to read further as well then. What do you think Nomes?