John Sherman's Reviews > The Castle in the Forest

The Castle in the Forest by Norman Mailer

May 08, 07

Recommended for: Mailer fans, people interested in WWII era history, fans of historical fiction
Read in May, 2007

Mailer has written this from the first person narrative perspective of the demon who was in charge of Adolf Hitler's development. The story follows the Hitler family history and the early / developmental years of young Adolf, as told from the point of view of a minor devil. This book didn't really do it for me. In telling the story, Mailer explores many of the possible reasons why Adolf Hitler grew up to be a monster. Some of these are fairly interesting - possible inbreeding, an abusive father, a serious inferiority complex, but all in all, the story kind of drags. You never really identify with any of the characters, including the narrator (which I guess is a good thing since the main characters are all evil and the narrator is a devil) but after a while I began to ask myself: why am I reading this. With that said, the writing of course is excellent. As always when reading Mailer, be sure to have a dictionary nearby.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Castle in the Forest.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Duc (new) - rated it 4 stars

Duc See I didn't realized it was the devil narrator. Mailer is so smooth and graceful in this transitioning from a non descript narrator to a Devilish narrator. To me that is the spoiler. So I hesitate to state that in a review.