Louize's Reviews > The Red Tent

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

3019973
Jul 12, 10

Read in April, 2010 — I own a copy

The Red Tent refers to the tent used for birthing and menses cycle. A tent provided for the women alone- no man may enter, nor peek, from its folds. Within lies the story of some, if not the most, popular women from the Book of Genesis. While a man’s story was told by their sons unto their sons; a woman’s life was passed on by their daughters. A woman without a daughter may be forgotten by the next generation easily. They may be considered lucky if they were even hinted in some of the stories. Luckily, Jacob’s wives had shared a daughter to tell their stories- Dinah.

Though a bible-based fiction, the story was narrated in vivid detail. The life of each woman in Jacob’s early life was very enriching, but the actual novel began when Dinah retold her life. Brought up by four mothers, Dinah was their vessel of well-kept recipes, herb cures, rituals, weaving techniques and gardening care; but most of all she was their loyal errand.

She grew up to be a great midwife just like her aunt-mother, Rachel, before her. The very reason how she met the first love of her life. The one that gave her both happiness and freedom. Only to be shattered by deceit and greed by her own family. Afterward, she was swept to an unknown land for her own safety. There, she gave birth to her only son, who was not hers to keep. I cannot fathom the depth of her pain when she was told she should be grateful for giving birth and nursing to a Prince of Egypt. The very words must have torn her apart from the inside.

The fine line between fiction and truth may be easily over-looked. Engrossing...
I agree with The Boston Globe, if the Bible had been written by women it would be like The Red Tent.
A narration of a woman’s life:

Youth,

Sorrow,

And Fulfillment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Tent.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Jan 29, 2011 08:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kwesi 章英狮 I'm nearly done and I pity Dinah's family for killing her husband and her husband's family and for her mothers who die because of Jacob's insanity. Huhu.

Louize I'm glad you're into this one Kwesi.

Kwesi 章英狮 I'm done, and the ending was eeek simple.

message 4: by Mis (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mis love your review! especially the last 3 lines.

Louize Mis wrote: "love your review! especially the last 3 lines."

Thank you!