Rachel's Reviews > Confessions of a Shopaholic

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

May 09, 07

Recommended for: no one! it's terrible!
Read in June, 2004

So I used to work with this girl called Sarah, who was a real no bullshit kind of person. I really liked her because she was intelligent and articulate, someone I could actually hold a conversation with. She was well read, she kept up on current events and she could talk politics while maintaining integrity and respectability. When I saw this book on the break table in the back, I never would have thought that it was hers. When I found out I made fun of her. I couldn't believe a girl like her was reading one of those girly indulgent drugstore bookshelf books about some cutsey flustered vunerable woman who almost manages to overcome her sweet, sugary problems by the last few pages. Almost. Over the next few days, when I would be taking my 20 minutes for lunch, I started to leaf through the book for lack of better reading material (I had read the copy of People from three months prior so many times I could probably name the make-ups, break-ups, new babies and total tramps.) After a few chapters I was inexplicably hooked. I had to know what else the silly little spendthrift was going to get herself into and of course, eventually out of. I read it over the course of about 4 or 5 lunch breaks. It was easy to slip into the back of my mind, underneath the homework assignments and papers and substantial literature I was in the middle of, behind the bills to pay and the jobs to keep up with. It was the easiest book I have ever read, truly light and to be totally honest, well written. The woman has an undeniable personality and voice. I haven't been interested enough to get any of her follow up books, but every time I pass them in the "literature" section at the drug store, I consider it for about half a second.
126 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of a Shopaholic.

Christy Sherrill Rachel,
Hi there,
I was looking at your review. And I agree with your "recommended for: no one! it's terrible". That part I understand because I read it. So the question is : if that is the way you feel, why the 4 out of 5 stars?

Rachel You see, I am very hypocritical. And kind of dramatic. And vindictive. I really enjoyed this book even though I kind of hated it. I guess you could call it a really fucked up guilty pleasure read, I couldn't help but root for this pathetic bastard of a book. Ugh. I don't know. I really can't explain myself.

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Danielle I love this book! I found it to be extremely witty. Sometimes you need an easy, effortless read that's just RELAXING to read, rather than having to find the deeper meaning, and this is certainly one of those books.

Claudia I have to agree with danielle :)

message 5: by M/Ðɑηηɑ (new)

M/Ðɑηηɑ How come you rated it 4 stars, and recommendaing it to no one? :)

message 6: by Loegwen (new)

Loegwen You gave it four stars and said it was terrible? I'm confuzzled.

Debbie yes, why 4 stars, great comments, and recommend it to no one?

Laura I became a little annoyed in some parts of the book but then glad to see the main character grew.

message 9: by Tawny (last edited Dec 04, 2012 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tawny S You can read People Magazine from three months ago, over and over again, but you made fun of the person that was reading this book?

Rachel Have you ever worked retail?

Wooler  ( The Book Nerd ) 100th liker yay

Misiaarte3 I can agree with all the comments posted here ... It's a love/hate sitch... And I want to read them all!

Jewel Sampson loved it!