Lorenzo Berardi's Reviews > Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions, and General Tales of Ordinary Madness

Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions, and General Tales of Or... by Charles Bukowski

Sep 25, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, american, a-my-italian-library
Read in October, 2010

I don't consider myself a fan of Charles Bukowski. In fact, I'd daresay that he's one of the most overhyped American authors ever, second only to Raymond Carver in that respect.

Besides, I'm biased towards Mr Bukowski. The thing is that an ex short-time girlfriend of mine adored this guy. So when she decided we couldn't work together, I removed three things from my life:
Hand-rolled cigarettes, Violent Femmes and Charles Bukowski.

Still, I have to confess how these short stories are a good and naughty fun. (The one with the man becoming a dildo is so damn nasty!).

The book itself popped up pretty suddenly during a rambling nightwalk in Oxford. It was left in a plastic bag in the gloomy St Ebbes Road next to a van selling smelly junk food.

I picked it up. Neonlit by the winkling van, an Italian edition of this book was standing in my right hand.
Then I basically brought the unexpected walk war chest at home, a few footsteps further, downhill.

I thought it may have been a sign. This book was waiting for me. Somehow.

Bukowski's Curse?
Does anybody want to share it?
For those who are interested, let's meet at the smelly van, 1 am.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions, and General Tales of Ordinary Madness.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-7 of 7) </span> <span class="smallText">(7 new)</span>

message 1: by Irwan (new)

Irwan hehehehe

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura I am definitely NOT a fan of Bukowski (in fact considering him one of the most overhyped authors ever, second only to Raymond Carver).

I feel the same way about William Burroughs.

Lorenzo Berardi Laura, is Burroughs so overrated? I have never read anything by him, but just bought the Naked Lunch (2 £ for it looked like a good deal).
I hope I will have no problems in digesting it...

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura A lot of people whose opinions I respect love him. His appeal completely eludes me, though, and I do mean completely.

message 5: by Bob (new)

Bob Hartley Christ, what a pseud.

message 6: by Ivana (new)

Ivana lol

message 7: by Al (new) - added it

Al Majd Did you read it as a soft copy or a heart copy ?