Jacob's Reviews > Of Human Bondage

Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham

Dec 22, 10

bookshelves: fiction-and-literature, i-own, 2010-2011
Read from October 30 to December 12, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Human Bondage.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kristen Was it as wonderful as I promised? Did it take your mind of the devastating emotional and physiological pain of losing your leg to diabetes?

Jacob Well, I did give it five stars. I was going to just do four, since I've been reading it for almost a month and a half and I was getting tired of it (read slowly, kept getting distracted by other things, had eye surgery a few weeks ago which slowed me down more, etc.), but I finished it last night and those last fifty pages were SO GOOD. Working on review.

Kristen I liked the first part, when he was a kid the best.
What's wrong with your eye?

Jacob I liked the beginning, and I really liked the end. There was just a lot of middle to get through.

I got a cornea transplant about two weeks ago. I have keratoconus (misshapen corneas), which was really advanced in my left eye, but I wore a special contact lens to correct it. Long story short, I lost the contact, spent several months trying to get it replaced (wore an eyepatch in the meantime, and I looked quite dashing if I may say so myself) and finally settled for the surgery. So now I have part of a dead person in my eye. What fun. Still can't see any ghosts.

Dashing
See? Dashing.

Kristen The eye patch makes you look dangerous!

You should be glad you haven't started seeing dead people, yet, because they'd just bug you to avenge them and that sure sounds like a huge hassle.

Kristen Don't give up now! The masses demand a review!

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael I've had that happen twice this week! But, you must review, Jacob. Osama Clause insists, as do I.

How are you healing up? Will you have to have surgery on the other one eventually?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I am voting for Comment #2, which makes me want to dust off my copy and give it a try.

Jacob Michael, when I say dead, I mean it's dead. Blue screen of death, emergency shutdown, won't restart, kaput. And right before the War on Christmas, too, so I can't find anyone to fix it. Looking around for a new one, and any recommendations would be helpful! I think I've had enough of Gateway.

Jacob Also: the eye is doing well. Still healing--that'll take months--but my vision is already vastly improved.

Eye
And this is what it looks like! Notice the stitches?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

whoa! awesome! and congrats!

Kristen Ouch!

I'm glad to hear your eye is healing well . . . But what about the review?

Jacob I just got my computer back. The hard drive is completely dead, so I got a new one installed, but all of my files--book logs, reading logs, half-written and half-assed reviews--are gone. Or just not current; I think I have stuff saved somewhere. Kinda annoying, but also nice to have a fresh clean start. Anyway, I'll post something by the weekend. Or over the weekend. Or after the weekend. Whenever I feel like it.

Kristen Can you feel the stitches when you blink?