Ryan's Reviews > My Life in France

My Life in France by Julia Child

Jul 31, 10

bookshelves: food, memoirs, travel, favorites
Read from July 10 to 14, 2010

Absolutely adored this book. Was so sad for it to be finished. It's funny that Nora Ephron seems to have barely adapted the book for Julie & Julia, which is good for the reader, but a bit of a shame for the film.

Julia is just so vivacious and views the world with such enthusiasm, that you can't help but be swept up in it. I loved that she would occasionally end paragraphs with "Oof!" and "Phooey!" and other exclamations.

The only thing that's a bit funny for me is that for a famous chef, 98% of the descriptions of her food really disgusted me. To be fare, I'm vegan, and so the richness of French food and the overabundance of fish & meats has never really appealed to me. But seriously, is it really necessary to cook chicken and then smother it with an entire stick of butter, cream, oysters and clams? And the description of the "pressed duck" - which is a duck that is smothered to death, rather than beheaded, so that all of it's blood remains in it's body for a juicier roast - and then, once roasted, it's ground through a grinder at the table. Blech!

But thankfully, this book isn't really about food, but rather her awakening as to her life's purpose and her incredible relationship with her husband. And it's completely delightful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life in France.

07/22/2010 page 300
82.0% "Absolutely ADORE this book. Very happy that Julie & Julia seems to have only adapted about 5 pages of the book, so nothing was ruined."