Dave's Reviews > Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World

Long Way Round by Charley Boorman

Jul 12, 10

Read in July, 2010

I couldn't find Ted Simon's Jupiter's Travels at my local Barnes & Noble, but found this book instead. I'd seen the Long Way Round TV series on DVD and thought I'd like more about Ewan McGRegor's and Charley Boorman's bike trip around the world than they cound present on their film.

At first, I wasn't disappointed. They start with great backstory about how they each got into motorcycles in the first place, and how they'd become friends and conceived and arranged this whole thing. I also like the back-and-forth "Ewan:... Charley:..." running commentary format. They hand-off the narrative and carry the story of their travels rather well.

Where I think the book falls short is in that it follows the film too closely. I'd have preferred to have been rewarded with bits and pieces that weren't included on the TV program, which is of course extremely edited because they had to condense 180 days of travel into 6 or 9 (I can't remember exactly how long it is) hour-long episodes. For example, their 2-week trek across North America (From Alaska to New York) is just 1 episode. In the book, it is likewise covered over the course of very few pages.

Overall, I think it was worth reading. It has temporarily satiated my wanderlust and piqued my interest in world cultures, as well as introduced me to a few global issues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Long Way Round.