Risa (a.k.a. Song)'s Reviews > The Masqueraders

The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer

Feb 04, 2016

bookshelves: georgette-heyer, romance, 2010, collections-mom, 2016, re-read
Read in February, 2016 , read count: 5

I had this down for 4 stars on my previous reading, but this time I've given it a full 5.

This story follows a pair of adventurers into the heart of London Society. These siblings make their mark in guises, and are led by the ingenious plans of their remarkable parent. However, love finds this unlikely pair, and there is a happy ending for all those involved.

Sounds too simple?

I don't think so. Even after having read this book a few times over the past many years, I found myself waiting with baited breath for the events to unfold. While I have found Heyer's detective stories to be rather boring, I find the mystery she weaves in some of a romances enthralling. The mystery in "The Masqueraders" is one of them. (Another would have to be "These Old Shades".)

I absolutely enjoyed the reading this time around. I found all the main characters delightful - Robin, Prudence, Anthony, Letty, Therese, and most certainly the ingenuous gentleman, Robert Tremaine.

No doubt there is a difference that is very palpable in Heyer's Georgian Romances and her Regency ones. It all displays itself not only in the mode of dress, but in the etiquette of Polite Society, and their unwritten rules. It still amazes me how much she has studied those times. However, I noticed the speech pattern of the siblings tended to be quite different from the rest at times. (Or was I imagining it?) Yet, it seemed to add to their quaintness.

All in all, an enjoyable, adventurous romp.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Masqueraders.

02/04 marked as: read

Tweety One of my Favs! Glad you loved it too. :)

Risa (a.k.a. Song) Can't help but do so! :D