Catherine's Reviews > Twice Tempted by a Rogue

Twice Tempted by a Rogue by Tessa Dare

Aug 31, 10

bookshelves: historical, romance, series, secret-crush, angst, crime-police-mystery-private-invest, england, rape-abuse, read-2010, bad-childhood, brawler
Read from August 29 to 30, 2010 — I own a copy

I seem to have a problem being engaged by this writer. I can see the skill, and know that I would usually enjoy the characters, but something still holds me back. I like them, but it's a kind of distant liking. I never really feel invested in their characters. I was coasting along feeling rather disappointed, but then came Rhys's breaking point, and I was sucked in!

Rhys was a very interesting character. In the beginning he didn't really match up with the personality I had imagined while reading One Dance with a Duke, the first book in the trilogy. He was a lot more in control of himself for one, and he was a lot sweeter and more bashful than I had supposed. I liked the sweetness, but it also made it really hard for me understand how suicidal he was.

Rhys didn't want to kill himself, but he pushed for someone to do it for him. He stared death in the eye time and time again and dared it to take him. At times he even begged. So being told about that side of him, I found it very hard to align the two versions of him that I was presented with. Which was the one that didn't make any sense? The old broken Rhys, or the new happy, well adjusted Rhys? I couldn't get involved with him because I couldn't see him. But all that changed when Rhys finally lost his hold on his past self. Finally I saw him and understood how much of himself he had suppressed, and why. In that moment I saw the anguish and the rage at others, and himself. I saw his self loathing and shame, and it was heart breaking. That was the moment that the book truly made me feel what the characters felt.

I loved Meredith, but she frustrated me too. I sympathized with her so much in the beginning of their relationship. When Rhys was stuck in his "fate" mindset I couldn't really get behind him. I could get behind Meredith though. Her anger about his belief that they would have ended up in this moment, with this relationship, no matter what was very understandable. All her hard work and struggles didn't matter because fate would have made it work out for the best even if she hadn't tried? I loved how she tested his faith in his "fate" belief. That's one way to shock a man into your point of view.

Meredith's view on sex was very refreshing. She wasn't a virgin, and she liked pleasure. She had no qualms about spending an enjoyable evening with a man if it seemed right to both of them. I really liked the role reversal in Meredith and Rhys's relationship. She was the one trying to get into his pants, and he was the one trying to convince her to marry him. I cracked up when she snuck into his room to see if he had a war injury or not! At times Meredith's devotion to the village became tedious. Especially because none of them seemed like very likable people. But when we heard her big secret I understood her position a little better.

Speaking of her big secret, I really wish she had told Rhys right when he told her his. I really think he would have taken the whole thing better if she hadn't waited. I can understand that she was frightened, but I still couldn't help but empathize with Rhys more. Maybe it was because he finally seemed broken.

I liked getting to see Bellamy again and hearing a few more clues about him. He has been the one I've fixated on the most ever since the first book. I just want to understand who he is and why he plays these roles. He was his typical cranky self in this book, and he didn't make any more friends along the way, but he came through when he was needed. I hope I'm not disappointed in his book!

One of the biggest problems I had with this book was the village's reaction to Rhys. I know his dad was a bad guy, but he wasn't that bad. I really don't see where he inspired enough rage (in the villagers that is, not Rhys) to make the lower class threaten a lord's life. I would think that village would be afraid to bring the law into it. It's not the same as killing a peasant. The law cares more. So, where did the torch-bearing mob get the gumption to do that?

The reveal at the very end surprised me. I can't figure out if I'm pleased, or feeling like it came out of nowhere. I really didn't expect it either way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twice Tempted by a Rogue.

08/29/2010 page 2
1.0% "Ah, I had forgotten he was suicidal." 9 comments
08/29/2010 page 45
12.0% "An honest to God torch bearing mob! LOL." 15 comments
08/29/2010 page 67
18.0% ""Not even Maddox had called her Merry, nor her lovers since. Her lovers hadn't called her anything at all. Well, the one nice gent had called her "love," and then there'd been that haunted-looking soul who'd called her "Sally" over and over again, then wept noisily in her arms for an hour afterward. That had been awkward. He'd put her off the whole business for a year." - ROFL!" 2 comments
08/29/2010 page 78
21.0% ""Are they brothers or cousins?" he asked, tilting his head to indicate the bull-headed, beak-nosed pair. "Yes." At his obvious confusion, she explained, "Their mother took up with a pair of brothers. No one was ever able to sort out who belonged to whom. But yes, they're brothers or cousins."" 7 comments
08/29/2010 page 88
24.0% "She snuck into his room to see for herself if he had a "war injury" that was keeping him from taking her up on her subtle hints. LOL." 3 comments
08/29/2010 page 131
36.0% "I'm surprised she hasn't killed him for telling everyone and their brother they're going to get married one day."
08/29/2010 page 138
38.0% ""Says she'll deal with it on her own." He finished off his brandy with an angry draught. "On her own. What is the world coming to, with these modern women? A man can't tell them what to do." "Don't I know it," Rhys muttered, still thinking of Meredith's frown. - LMAO!!!" 40 comments
08/29/2010 page 162
45.0% "It took some big brass ones to have the banns announced like that." 3 comments
08/29/2010 page 194
53.0% ""Because you should never witness the hell of war. You shouldn't even hear about it secondhand. That's the whole reason we were fighting, to spare innocent people like you such ugliness. I'll be damned if I'll personally acquaint you with it now."" 4 comments
08/30/2010 page 294
81.0% "These people are a head trip! Their little confessional was touching, but I didn't really think it was all that bad. I was expecting his dad to be the devil, not that." 15 comments
08/30/2010 page 305
84.0% "Rhys in that fight was so damn sad." 1 comment
08/30/2010 page 334
92.0% ""Who wants me dead?" Bellamy muttered to himself from where he'd sunk into the corner of the coach. "The better question would be, who doesn't want me dead?" "I don't want you dead," Rhys said. Then he added honestly, "But then I'm rather ambivalent to your general existence."" 2 comments
08/30/2010 page 352
97.0% ""Damn Gideon and his scene-stealing." - ROFL!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Harper (new)

Harper A little off-topic, but the name of this series (Stud Club) kind of cracks me up.

Catherine It cracked me up too. I liked that in the first book some of the female characters made fun of the dumb name. I don't think I could have made it through without someone making fun of it.

message 3: by Harper (new)

Harper LOL. Well, at least the author acknowledges its corniness.

message 4: by Katyana (new)

Katyana It really is an eyeroll-worthy name.

Catherine It was nice, like the author was poking fun at corny names and including us in the joke.

message 6: by Harper (new)

Harper Very tongue-in-cheek. I like that. :)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Great review!!! I think we agree on many points.

Catherine Thanks! I think we do too. I'm very excited to read the next book. Are you going to be reading it soon?

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I'm thinking... 2 days maybe?

Catherine Wow, that's soon! I hope it's a good one.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I'm in a group read in the LK group, so I need to make it soon.

Catherine I forgot that's this month's group read! Maybe I should start it soon too...

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Yep! Start it in 2 days! LOL

message 15: by Juliana (new) - added it

Juliana Great review!

Catherine Thanks!

Laura the Highland Hussy Loved your review, and I truly believe you will just love the third book.
My only problems with this book were 1. what you said about Merry not letting Rhys know her side of the secret sooner, and 2. there was barely any mention of the Stud Club and Leo. So for me, I'm on the same page as your review-which was fantastic!

Catherine Thank you! <3

I didn't mind the lack of the Stud Club info. I'm not interested in Leo the way most people seem to be. I did like getting to see Bellamy though. He's rude and an ass, but he's interesting!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I'm starting book 3 tomorrow! YAY!

Catherine What happened to 2 more days?

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I'm finishing the book I'm reading in a little while and you're not going to read it with me, so I thought I'd go ahead and start. I can wait if you want to do a buddy read as well as the group read.

Catherine Nah, it's okay. I haven't made as much progress on The Matchmaker as I was hoping for tonight. I need to finish that first and I have to go to an event tomorrow night so I probably will hold you up.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Ok, well, be sure and join the discussion when you can :)

Laura the Highland Hussy Catherine wrote: "Thank you! <3

and he gets more so in the next book-and the secrets he has are so different. Way different from most tortured heroes. Don't get me wrong, he had a hard, cold, hungry life, but he has some weird secrets too.

Catherine LOL. I like weird.