Hotavio's Reviews > The Best American Comics 2006

The Best American Comics 2006 by Harvey Pekar

Jul 16, 10

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read from July 12 to 15, 2010

America's Best Comics 2006 was an impulse bargain purchase. The compilation contains comics that utilize a variety of styles, subjects, and themes. Some have definite messages, while others seem less poignant.

There were several which I endeared myself to: "Complacency Kills," with its documentation of the high level of anxiety amongst forces in Iraq; "La Rubia Loca," a tale where a dejected woman finds her purpose in helping others; and in "Thirteen Cats" the artist tells of the fleeting nature of relationships through his family's inability to keep cats for a long period of time. Other comics featured range from quite good to downright dismal. There is a Robert Crumb comic in this book (the first of which I have read). His eccentric and nervous approach to life has me curious for more of his work.

Because there were a good amount of comics that failed to catch my interest, I would only rate this 3 stars. However, the price was right for a decent sampling of what independent artists have to offer. Should I find The Best American Comics 2007 for a decnt price, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best American Comics 2006.

07/12/2010 page 20