Christina's Reviews > The Sea of Monsters

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Jul 16, 10

bookshelves: kindle, 2010, fantasy, fiction, series, ya-and-children-s
Read on July 12, 2010, read count: 1

This is second book in the Percy Jackson series and both Percy, the author and me as the reader are much more used to the idea of Greek gods still being in control of the world and their offspring wrecking havoc on various quests.
In this book there's trouble at the Camp where the demigods are supposed to be safe. The tree protecting the border has been poisoned and the Camp is in danger of being overrun by monsters. To save the Camp and the Tree, Percy and Annabeth together with Percy's new friend Tyson sneak off on another quest - to find the Golden Fleece and at the same time save Grover who has been taken prisoner during his search for Pan.
The Fleece is hidden in the Sea of Monsters - what is now know as the Bermuda Triangle. Luckily, this is also the place Grover is kept prisoner.
Of course, Luke plays a part in this one as well - Harry Potter had Voldemort, Percy has Luke (and ultimately Kronos). Every hero needs an arch nemesis!
Riordan treats to quite a group of monsters in this one - the Sirens, Scylla and Charybdis and of course, the Cyclop whom Odysseus also had an encounter with.
Being set in the Sea of Monsters, this storyline allows Riordan to let Percy explore his heritage as son of Poseidon even more, and I like how he comes more into his powers.
I really liked this book. It didn't feel quite as inspired by Harry Potter as the first book in the series but felt more as a book on it's own terms now. I really like the idea of taking the Greek mythology and moving it into the present like this and I think this series will inspire it's readers to learn more about these gods. It certainly makes me remember what I know about these gods - even though it's been years since I've been reading about them (except for reading Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips which I also enjoyed).
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Monsters.

07/12/2010
36.0% "Very fast-paced read of course."
07/12/2010
60.0% "I think I like this one better than the first ..."

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan I loved the first book but somehow haven't made the time to read the rest of the series.

Christina I liked this one better than the first so I'll definitely recommend it! It's also such easy reads so it's an easy way to clear out books from one's to-read shelf!!

message 3: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Christina Stind wrote: "I liked this one better than the first so I'll definitely recommend it! It's also such easy reads so it's an easy way to clear out books from one's to-read shelf!!"

It's not that I haven't been really interested; there are just soooo many books. But, thanks; I'll keep all of what you said in mind.

Christina Too many books! And I keep on finding more books in a faster pace than I am able to read them ... it's a never-ending battle!

message 5: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Christina Stind wrote: "Too many books! And I keep on finding more books in a faster pace than I am able to read them ... it's a never-ending battle!"

I really want to pare down my to-read shelf because it does grow faster than it shrinks, and that's even when I'm reading a bunch of children's picture books off of it/the books that take so little time to read. I'm having to be discriminating about what I read: I should at least take off the books I'll most likely never get to, even if they do look interesting.

Christina Yeah, I've considered doing that as well. When I look at the books on my long to-read list (the books I don't own), there are a lot of books I can't remember anything about - so maybe that's a hint that they aren't that important ... Oh well, I'm soon off on maternity leave and I plan on reading the entire time so maybe that'll get my to-read list down ;-)

message 7: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan I'm glad you'll have some extra time to read. When is the baby due? Is she also going to get a name from a favorite book?

Christina The baby is due on October 22nd... And if she's just as sweet and mild-tempered as Ronja, I think I can get some extra reading time - but we'll see.

message 9: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Christina Stind wrote: "And no - unfortunately, so far we haven't been able to find a name from a book for her ... "

Well, the most important thing is to like the name. ;-)

Christina I would love for her to get a name from a book but we haven't been able to find one. But you're right - the most important thing is to find a name thar feels right. And I think we've found it...

message 11: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Can't wait to hear her birth announcement with name. Hoping Ronja adjusts well.

Christina Thanks :-) - and yeah, me too!

message 13: by Christian (new)

Christian Just like Harry Potter,this novel made my adult brain happy.

Christina I really hope a lot of kids will read these books - they are fun and hopefully they will inspire kids to learn more about the Greek gods. I enjoy reading them!