Mairead's Reviews > Spending

Dec 27, 2007

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: Isi
Read in October, 2002

While others panned this book, I treasured the time spent reading and discussing Spending. During that phase of my life I was bogged down in critical theory and other academic writings. This book presented a bit of theory with a lot of sexy fluff. A brain in a boa.

Monica, a 50 year old artist, is middle-of-the-road until a wealthy patron nabs her up, providing her all of the spending money and time that she needs. He serves as her muse in a series 'Spent Men, After the Masters', which depicts a post-coital (hence spent) Jesus Christ.

Unbelievable, sure. But thats why this is in the fiction category. Most importantly, her words are well-chosen. Take or leave the plot, but don't deny that she has a way with words. Our protagonist shows, bit by bit, her own growth and decision making. Her descriptions of art and of sex are truly quality pieces of writing.

There is a scene where Monica pours a chilled pitcher of water over her body in the middle of a kitchen. As a tribute to freedom, sexual choice, art, and much more, a dear friend gave me a water pitcher. And sometimes, on hot, dark nights, I pour water on my brow just to remember how free this book reminded me to be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spending.