Tina's Reviews > Conspiracy in Death

Conspiracy in Death by J.D. Robb

Jan 01, 08

bookshelves: romance, mystery, favorites
Read in April, 1999

This is the 8th in the In Death series.

It is early winter right after the New Year 2059 and Eve is called to the murder scene of a sidewalk sleeper. Wondering why "homicide lite" simply doesn't handle the case, Eve quickly learns the reason why. The old homeless man who was murdered had his heart neatly, surgically removed.

At the crime scene Eve bumps heads with a troublemaker cop who has been jealous of Eve since the academy days when Eve, even then, was a star on the fast track.

In the course of the investigation Eve finds other indigents whose organs have been neatly harvested. Deciding that only an experienced surgeon could have the magic hands to do such work, Eve begins to shake up the medical community.

In the meantime, the jealous cop starts spewing hate at Eve and files complaints managing to get Eve suspended. Working outside the system, Eve still manages to close the case.

This is one of my very favorite of the series strongly because of the middle part of the book when Eve gets suspended. In the previous 7 books, Robb has painstakingly drawn a portrait of Eve as a cop. It isn't just what she does, it is what she is. Her identity is so tangled up with her shield and her gun it begs the question what happens to Eve if she loses them?

The scenes/chapters following Eve's loss of her badge are quite heart wrenching. It is so sad to see such a kick ass character like Eve brought so low and made to feel so lost. She even apologizes to Summerset instead of engaging him in one of their normal nasty biting arguments. This course of events horrifies the butler so much he's beside himself.

Roarke is, as usual, swoon worthy. First as a concerned spouse and then as the person who kicks her in the ass and tells her to stop feeling sorry for herself. Also, he is so ready to go and beat up people on her behalf just because they made her cry, that I kinda wished Robb had put a scene in there where Roarke and his army of lawyers go and scare the beejeesus out of the brass of the NYPSD.

Other reasons why I love this installment:
1) Trueheart! We are introduced to another new recurring character, the sweet, innocent rookie Troy Trueheart. In later books he also becomes a member of Eve's inner circle.

2) Peabody and Charles the LC are dating. Charles has been in several previous books mainly as a witness, but now he is playing a more social role. I picture him looking like George Clooney.

3)We see more of Baxter, the womanizing, fun loving cop who is smarter than he seems. Too bad Baxter was the only one Roarke could take his frustrations out on. I picture baxter looking like Alec Baldwin.

4) Introduction of Webster, the IAB cop who has long had a thing for Eve. He shows up in later books as well.

5) Introduction of Louise Dimatto, she also shows up in several later books as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Conspiracy in Death.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jodie (last edited Dec 28, 2007 05:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodie I love your review of this book! Good points on all the characters! I also like Dr. Mira & picture her as Donna Murphy (played Juliette Simone in Center Stage & also in Spiderman 2). And I like the developing relationship of Peabody & McNabb.

Jasmine I've always wondered what Charles would look like! I think George Clooney's perfect for him, ahah.
& I'm looking forward to more Webster, possibly a Webster who makes Roarke jealous? ;)
&& I'm also happy we get to see Dimatto more!
Great review!

Tina Jasmine - Are you just working your way through the series. If so, you are in luck. Eve's inner circle grows a bit and relationships between everyone changes over time. Lots of good interpersonal developments throughout the series. And yeah, Webster turns up a few times, but I won't give anything away. :)

Jasmine Yep, I am. :) I started reading them about 3 weeks ago I think and haven't stopped yet, hehe. Sadly, I'm going to have to find a way to force myself to stop soon, because my book club book demands attention. :( I didn't know this series would be so addicting!
I can't wait to find out what happens with him! :D