Sam's Reviews > The Last Christian

The Last Christian by David Gregory

Jul 12, 10

Read from July 11 to 12, 2010

This is a fascinating book. My wife reads voraciously and it's rare she says, "Hey, you really should read this book." I am sure glad I did. It's a page turner, so be forewarned.

Anyway, plenty of reviewers have written synopses of the book. I offer instead what I think might be an ideal prologue or epilogue (or both). It's simply a quote from the last chapter in Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis entitled The New Men:

"Compared with the development of man on this planet, the diffusion of Christianity over the human race seems to go like a flash of lightning - for two thousand years is almost nothing in the history of the universe. (Never forget that we are all still 'the early Christians.' The present wicked and wasteful divisions between us are, let us hope, a disease of infancy: we are still teething. The outer world, no doubt, thinks just the opposite. It thinks we are dying of old age. But it has thought that very often before. Again and again it has thought Christianity was dying, dying by persecutions from without and corruptions from within, by the rise of Mohammedanism, the rise of the physical sciences, the rise of great anti-Christian revolutionary movements. But every time the world has been disappointed. Its first disappointment was over the crucifixion. The Man came to life again. In a sense - and I quite realise how frightfully unfair it must seem to them - that has been happening ever since. They keep on killing the thing that He started and each time, just as they are patting down the earth on its grave, they suddenly hear that it is still alive and has even broken out in some new place. No wonder they hate us."
(C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Christian.