Lisette Brodey's Reviews > Second Chances

Second Chances by Maria Savva

Dec 27, 10

Read from August 12 to September 25, 2010

Second Chances is a novel that mirrors so many people’s lives. James and Pamela have been married for several years with two children. As an attorney at a law firm run by partners who are brutal and unsympathetic toward their staff, James is put in a tough position to spend too much time away from his family. He knows that his wife Pamela hates his demanding work schedule and after-work obligations, but financial times are tough and new jobs are difficult to come by. And so, despite arguments about the situation, James goes on, doing what he believes is in the best interest of his family.

One day, after another argument about the troubles that plague them, James is shocked to find a note from his wife saying that she has left and taken the kids. But Pamela hasn’t just run away from James, she has gone to confront something in her past that she has ignored for far too long.

Author Maria Savva taps into common situations that so many couples find themselves in, especially in these hard times. Savva does a great job of painting the unreasonable, demanding men that James works for at the firm of Hornchurch, Bean & Co. There were several times that I wanted to jump into the novel and have several not-so-nice exchanges with these brutes.

While I appreciated the story, I felt that too much time was spent on Pamela and James second-guessing each other and being upset over what they thought the other was thinking or doing. There were times when their respective insecurities, especially Pamela’s, were overwhelming to me, and even though I would argue that this reflects true life, I would have liked to see the couple spend more time trying to communicate better. But all in all, I am a fan of character-driven novels and quite enjoyed this book and its realistic premise. I also appreciated the author's humor and laughed aloud at a few of the situations in the story. I look forward to reading more from Maria Savva in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Chances.

08/21/2010 page 52
28.0% "I'm really enjoying this story!"
08/29/2010 page 73
39.0% "a great read"
show 7 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sheri This sounds very interesting, I look forward to reading soon!

Lisette Brodey Sheri wrote: "This sounds very interesting, I look forward to reading soon!"

It is very interesting! I think a lot of couples are going through the same situations in this book. It's very timely, for sure.

Sheri Well the synopsis was interesting and your review has me wanting to read this book! Thanks for sharing!

Maria That's wonderful! Thanks for your review, Lisette. Thanks for adding the book to your 'to read' list, Sheri!! I hope you enjoy it!

Sheri Maria,
You are welcome, I look forward to reading it.
Sheri