Kjersti's Reviews > Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

Jan 30, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in January, 2011

I liked this one, I liked it a lot. As usual I feel Don Miller gets more than a bit too basic, but then again I'm really not the intended audience.. (Which, judging from his writing style, is probably a bunch of 10-year-olds. I'm just saying. He could well be the Sufjan Stevens of consecutive writing, without the depth or skin-crwaling creepiness.) All in all it's a pretty entertaining book, and I especially like how he talks about the personal and spiritual aspects of faith. There are some things I utterly disagree with, but hey, this is Don Miller we're talking about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Like Jazz.

Quotes Kjersti Liked

Donald Miller
“I always thought the Bible was more of a salad thing, you know, but it isn't. It's a chocolate thing.”
Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality

Donald Miller
“Writers don't make any money at all. We make about a dollar. It is terrible. But then again we don't work either. We sit around in our underwear until noon then go downstairs and make coffee, fry some eggs, read the paper, read part of a book, smell the book, wonder if perhaps we ourselves should work on our book, smell the book again, throw the book across the room because we are quite jealous that any other person wrote a book, feel terribly guilty about throwing the schmuck's book across the room because we secretly wonder if God in heaven noticed our evil jealousy, or worse, our laziness. We then lie across the couch facedown and mumble to God to forgive us because we are secretly afraid He is going to dry up all our words because we envied another man's stupid words. And for this, as I said, we are paid a dollar. We are worth so much more.”
Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality