Jane's Reviews > Jane Austen Ruined My Life

F 50x66
Jul 11, 2010

liked it
Read in July, 2010

This is a 3.5 star book for me. It was a great little bit of summer escapism, yet I sometimes found parts of it too didactic, and at other times, I kept thinking Beth Pattillo hadn't REALLY given us a good look at what our heroine was like. Perhaps because Emma, the disgraced (due to a charge of academic plagiarism) and betrayed (by her unfaithful scoundrel of a husband) does not know herself and her true feelings well, we were supposed to buy that--but it still bothered me at times. On the other hand, I loved the characters of Adam and Mrs. Parrot, the latter of whom is attempting to entice her into a secret society dedicated to preserving otherwise unknown letters of Jane Austen, and the former of whom was the man who loved her (and who she unknowingly "jilted" when she married a decade earlier). For the sheer sake of escapism, and for the love of Jane Austen, I reveled in this book. Still, little editorial errors here and there, and some sloppy inconsistencies troubled me enough to rate it only a 3.5. Go ahead and enjoy it, though--it won't take you long!!!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Austen Ruined My Life.