Karla's Reviews > The Bronze Horseman

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons

Aug 25, 10

bookshelves: russia, historical-romantic-fiction, romance, 2010, bricks, favorites, sisters
Read from July 11 to 17, 2010

An extraordinary novel I will never forget. So much beauty and innocence captured in moments so tender, sensual and heartwrenchingly devastating. Is one of my favorite historical romances of all time. I well always highly recommend and reread for years to come.
On July 22, 1941 Tatiana is 17 and a carefree and sunny girl. Unknowing her future or her destiny she meets Alexander a courageous officer in the Red army with a dangerous secret, they fall into a hopeless impossible love. She soon finds out he is also the object of her beloved sister Dasha's affection's. Thrown into a charade that brings her a mix of suffering and stolen moments of bliss.
This same day the annonucement that Hitler's armies have attacked Russia on an unstoppable quest to the eventual seige of Leningrad that lasted 872 days causing unparalleled famine with relentless bombing. things get from bad to worse during a merciless winter of 42. Tatiana is forced to grow up quickly being the youngest and smallest in her family she has no rights or little to no value to them. Although she is ever resourceful and provides and gives all she can of herself to her unthankful family that all live in a communal apartment of two little rooms. With disruptions of water, energy, and supplies, the Metanova family is tormented and threatened through starvation, loss, and desperation. She grows into a woman and a heroin that is unforgettable.
I was so compelled I simply couldn't get anything done until I knew how this ended. Now I suffer as I wait looking for the next book! I apologize now to my own family cause clean laundry may be at a trickle till I read every last word of their story.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bronze Horseman.

Quotes Karla Liked

Paullina Simons
“Oh,to be walking through Leningrad white night after white night, the dawn to dusk all smelting together like platinum ore, Tatiana thought, turning away to the wall, again to the wall, the wall, as ever. Alexander, my nights, my days, my every thought. You will fall away from me in just a while, won't you, and I'll be whole again, and I will go on and feel for someone else, the way everyone does.
But my innocence is forever gone.”

Paullina Simons
“Tatiana: "Why did we spend two days fighting when we could have been doing this?"
Alexander: "That wasn't fighting, Tatiana. That was foreplay.”

Paullina Simons
“Ask yourself these three questions, Tatiana Metanova, and you will know who you are. Ask: What do believe in? What do you hope for? What do you love?”

07/11/2010 page 59
9.0% "SO beautifully tender, and sprinkled with innocence of being 17 before The Siege of Leningrad. The twisted web has been spun and has me compelled at hello."
show 5 hidden updates…

Sarah As always, your review has piqued my interest. I lol'd when I read your apology to your family. Maybe this would be a good time to teach the kids how to do laundry? :-)

Karla They know how they just won't actually do it...LOL! This is an agonizingly brilliant romance set in WWII times one of the most written about tragic times. It is also one of the most interesting time in history to me. I do hope you find it and enjoy it even a little bit as much as me. I just can't stop pushing and raving about it!

Sarah You have great taste in books, so I'm sure I'll love it as much as you did. I just hope I can get it from PBS soon, or I may have to go out and buy it.

Karla I'm going to Amazon to order Tatiana and Alexander and may just order a few of Simon's works cause my bookstore had none :( like I need More books ya know! But this is what I have to read right now.

Laurel Harness Your reviews of the books you read have me adding more to my list. You make the books sound better than ch9ocolate! I'm going to read this one because of your review.

Karla Oh Laurel its so good eat chocolate while reading it and it would be so divine! Last night I ordered the last two books in this trilogy! Yay! The mail can't come fast enough! I have time to work out like crazy before they come it the mail then stock up on my favorite chocolates Turtles!! I love this idea!

message 7: by Sarah Jan (new) - added it

Sarah Jan The background of this book sounds very similar to one of Kristin Hannah's books: Winter Garden - which I enjoyed immensely. Can't wait to get to Bronze Horseman!

message 8: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna It sounds great! I put it on my TBR

Karla Hmmm Sarah I also have The Winter Garden here in my stacks I should pick it up and compaire a bit.
Donna I just finished The Rice Mother yesterday was really a deep exotic family drama I really liked it. Thanks for recommending it to me. I hope you enjoy The Bronze horseman so good!

Kate. Brilliant review Karla.

Karla Thanks so much Kate thanks for recommending this book to me. We are all smitten by this book over at NI. IDK if you have been over there in a while but I think each of us have given it 5 stars(that is a first)!!

Kate. I feel awful for not being over there in so long.
I havent been around GR months.Ive left a few comments. Thanks for the nudge :))
Im so glad you all liked it.
Its a treasure.