Mark's Reviews > All Unquiet Things

All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab

Jul 11, 10

liked it
Read in July, 2010

This is a book that I've wanted to read since spying the haunting cover photo earlier this year. However, I think I still like the cover a little more.

This is a mystery novel set at a private school outside San Francisco, where one year after Carly's brutal murder, her former boyfriend (Neily) and her cousin (Audrey) team up to solve the case, which originally had convicted and imprisoned Audrey's father for the crime. Along the way, Neily and Audrey learn disturbing truths about Carly, and about their fellow classmates. Ultimately, the end of their investigation cannot bring Carly back, but it does provide some closure for the characters.

I'm not normally a big mystery fan, so I think that may have already been working against the book upon my picking it up. Still, I found it hard to believe that, in the very first chapter, there were so many lines of investigation that had simply been overlooked by the detectives. I did appreciate the narrative shifts between Neily and Audrey, including time shifts, but the dialogue often seemed a little stilted, telling me everything I needed to know. By the middle of the novel, I had a pretty good idea who the real killer was, and there was nothing to lead me off that path for the rest of the book. I do think the book is a good character study, and Neily (more so than Audrey) was a pretty sympathetic character, but this one just left me with a "meh" feeling at the end of it, because I didn't find myself caring whether the mystery was solved or not.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Unquiet Things.