Rebecca's Reviews > Fever Crumb

Fever Crumb by Philip Reeve

Jul 11, 10

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, science-fiction, young-adult
Read in July, 2010

Philip Reeve is a brilliant writer, and this book deserves all the starred reviews it received. I only gave it four stars because of the bleakness of its post-apocalyptic world--not my genre! Fans of the Hungry Cities Chronicles will devour this book because it explains the origin of the traction cities, as well as other things that appear in the series. What I really liked was how Reeve managed to create a world that incorporated elements from all ages of the world, not just the 21st century, which is a common fault of many futuristic novels--they ignore the fact that things happened in the years between the current day and the time of the story. Reeve also incorporates how things get twisted from their original meaning--using 'blogger' as an insult/curse is brilliant. Readers will love picking out the origins of names/places/etc. and pondering how their use and the change in their spelling or use reflects the span of history between our times and the times in the book. Mixed in with the familiar they will also find many things/words/etc. that illustrate how profoundly different Reeve's future world is. The balance is done really well. So, five stars for writing, four stars for how much I enjoyed it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever Crumb.