Robert's Reviews > Memories of My Melancholy Whores

Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

Dec 27, 07

Recommended for: Men who love women
Read in October, 2006

The review I wrote for amazon.

A curious and lovely book

In the US, we understand sexy but we struggle with the erotic. We read the body like we read the newspaper, by habit; with a glance. Our real failure in love is our failure to take our time. It's not in our nature to wait, to sample, to savor. We rush into love as if we were late to an appointment. Gabriel Garcia Marquez in his MEMORIES OF MY MELANCHOLY WHORES doesn't rush. The book is a seduction and moves at that quiet lazy confident pace. The protagonist turns 90 and, mindful of his mortality, wants what he's never had: "A night of wild love with an adolescent virgin." Of course, desire is a dream and dreams are an attempt to remember. And, what do we want to remember, everything, everyone we've ever loved. Memory, though, is an admission of loss. Desire is our strategy to reclaim what was lost. Of course, memory is a trickster...and that's part of the joy of this book, as the "Professor," defies death less through contact with flesh, than though memory and desire. In this book as in life, it is the approach, it is anticipation, that sets us on fire.

30 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memories of My Melancholy Whores.

Quotes Robert Liked

Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez
“The truth is I'm getting old, I said. We already are old, she said with a sigh. What happens is that you don't feel it on the inside, but from the outside everybody can see it.”

Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez
“...the invincible power that has moved the world is unrequited, not happy love”
tags: love

Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez
“There's no greater misfortune than dying alone.”
Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez, Memories of My Melancholy Whores

Simone I agree with your review, excellent!

Robert Simone wrote: "I agree with your review, excellent!"
Thank you Simone. It's very kind of you to write and to say so. I'm glad you enjoyed the book and also my review—I hope the review will encourage more people to pick up the book, and, also, read more Marquez. Have a lovely day/evening.
Robert