Susan's Reviews > Shattering Glass

Shattering Glass by Gail Giles

Jul 11, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, suspense
Read in July, 2010

I had higher hopes for this book, so I'm giving it an "okay." The most popular boy in high school takes it upon himself and his group of friends to "re-make" Simon Glass, the overweight class scapegoat, into a popular boy. What appears on the surface to be a generous act soon shows undercurrents of something unhealthy. Rob, charismatic and popular, has a deep need to be in absolute control of everyone around him. He schemes, he manipulates, and he gets angry when others won't do as he likes. The protaganist, Young, finds himself unable to refuse Rob anything. Simon Glass, on the other hand, begins to show a strong streak of independence. Naturally it all ends in violence and tragedy.

I liked Giles use of foreshadowing by giving the reader snippets of what sound like interviews taken well after the event. A chaplain in a juvenile prison, the cafeteria worker, the principal. But I felt that the main narrative lacked depth. That Rob was abused by his father seemed a shaky foundation to explain his motivations. Young's disapproving, controlling father is interesting, but we only meet him in one short scene.
All in all, the characters seemed thin, and the story did not seem to earn the abrupt and violent ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattering Glass.