Dawson's Reviews > Death's Daughter

Death's Daughter by Amber Benson

Jul 11, 10

Read on July 11, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I know that a lot of folks have written that they disliked this book because the main character, who's head we live in (as it is written in the first person), is kind of annoying. I must admit, I liked that about Calliope. She's flawed, and silly, and she whines about bad situations, and has a crush on just about every boy she meets. And this makes her immensely human in my eyes- ironic, considering said book places an emphasis on her non-humanness. It has occurred to me while reading it, that was perhaps Miss Benson's very intention. That for all Calliope's lack of humanity, for all that she is Death's Daughter and being faced with seemingly insurmountable tasks she must complete, even as she walks casually through Hell and discusses favors and payment with everyone from Cerberus to Gods she is still, in every moment, just a person: a flawed, silly person, who makes mistakes and sticks her foot places it doesn't belong while trying her very best in a bad situation. How can one not relate?

That said, I enjoyed this book immensely. Honestly, more than I expected to (I have to admit, I'm skeptical of actors who take up writing). It's a fun read, and while for the most part what one would call fluff, it had some deeper undertones that struck a chord in me. Moments where the greatness of the mythology involved and the story being told (usually masked behind Calliope's urban sarcasm, and silliness) peeks out at you and says something profound that you weren't expecting.

The only small critique I might send the author's way is that she seems a most up-front kind of individual and the story might benefit from a bit of subterfuge...it's told in a very straight-forward style, leaving little to the reader's imagination, and while Miss Benson's engaging speaking style comes through and mutes the effect (like hearing a story related by an old friend), I think the tale might have more impact in some places if some details were left to the reader's imagination.

A solidly enjoyable read, that I certainly recommend. I have Cat's Claw to get started on next, so more reviews to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death's Daughter.

07/11/2010 page 250