Marika's Reviews > Sula

Sula by Toni Morrison

Jul 17, 10

Read from July 11 to 17, 2010

This book is in the house because it is one of Teo's summer reading selections. While he was gone for a week, I pcked it up for a quick read.

Toni Morrison is a challenging author to read, and this book is no exception. Its coffee table appeal to me was its slimness (under 200 pages). Unfortunately, I think this was also its downfall for me. The language was beautiful, the setting colorful, the characters well formed. The only thing missing was ... plot.

I am exaggerating a little. Of course there is a story arc. But it is bare bones. Very bare bones. Maybe I am showing a "weakness" in my reading skills, but I just would have liked a little more substance to latch on to, to keep me interested in what was going to happen next. I finished the book, but near the end I was almost skimming. It simply didn't grab me.

I can't wait to see how this goes over with a 16 year old boy who is practically allergic to reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sula.

07/11/2010 page 15

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue T (new)

Sue T Is it possible for a Nobel Prize winner for Literature to be over-rated? Or is it just that I am on a different wavelength and/or too dumb to get what's important about it?

I didn't care for Sula; it was required reading for a class in grad school. I skimmed the whole thing and didn't think I missed much. I liked learning about building a community on a hill to be closer to God, though. Was that from Sula? Good luck to Teo on this one.

I did read Toni Morrison's "Beloved" several years ago and was quite moved by it. Much better book than Sula in my opinion.

Marika Wow! I feel so validated!

I, too, liked the whole community thing. The book did celebrate the people's spirit and resolve in the face to unrelenting poverty. The daily life of these people could have been terribly depressing, but it wasn't. I think that was the thing that kept me reading.

I just wish it told me more about what Sula and Nel were thinking. I never became attached or interested in them as people.

I read Beloved ... probably about 20 years ago. I can barely remember it.