Annii Frazer's Reviews > Thud!

Thud! by Terry Pratchett

Jul 10, 10

bookshelves: 2010books, terry-pratchett, discworld
Read in July, 2010

** spoiler alert ** DESCRIPTION FROM FLAP
Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch admits he may not be the sharpest knife in the cutlery drawer - he may ot even be a spoon. But he's dogged and honest and he'll be damned if he lets anyone disturb his city's always-tentative peace - and that includes a rabble-rousing dwarf from the sticks (or deep beneath them) who's been stirring up big trouble on the eve of the anniversary of one of Discworld's most infamous historical events.

Centuries earlier, in a gods-forsaken hellhole called Koom Valley, a horde of trolls met a division of dwarfs in bloody combat. Though nobody's quite sure why they fought or who actually won, hundreds of years on each species still bears the cultural scars, and one views the other with simmering animosity and distrust. Lately, an influential dwarf, Grag Hamcrusher, has been fomenting unrest among Ankh-Morpork's more diminutive citizens with incendiary speeches. And it doesn't help matters when the pintsized provocateur is discovered beaten to death...with a troll club lying conveniently nearby.

Vimes knows the well-being of his smoldering city depends on his ability to solve the Hamcrusher homicide without delay. (Vimes's secondmost-pressing responsiblity, in fact, next to being home every evening at six sharp to read Where's My Cow to Young Sam.) Whatever it takes to unstick this very sticky situation, Vimes will do it - even tolerate having a vampire in the Watch. But there's more than one corpse waiting for him in the eerie, summoning darkness of the vast, labyrinthine mine network the dwarfs have been excavating in secret beneath Ankh Morpork's streets. A deadly puzzle is pulling Sam Vimes deep into the muck and mire of superstition, hatred, and fear - and perhaps all the way to Koom Valley itself.

My Commments
I enjoyed this book, although it took me a bit to get into it (I didn't read it in less than one day, I'd had it sitting around half read for a while and just finished it). The last half was better than the first half, though. Or maybe I was just less tired. But by the end, this book was quite enjoyable. The books on the Night Watch seem to be my favorite of the Discworld books I've read. I like Vimes and especially Carrot, and the quirky humor is exactly the type I enjoy.

I think my favorite thing about the series, though, is how Pratchett has created a fantastical world that parallels our own, and through this series can poignantly illustrate the absurdities of our lives. The hatred between Dwarfs and Trolls discussed in this book could be allegorical to so many real conflicts of the sort in our world today - conflicts so old that even those involved have forgotten the original reasons for them.

All in all, a brilliantly done book. Very enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thud!.