Laurie Robinson's Reviews > Jacob's Room

Jacob's Room by Virginia Woolf

Jul 10, 2010

Recommended for: no
Read from July 10 to 14, 2010

I'm probably too simple to get this, but this was horrible! Started out being an interesting approach to writing, but turned out to be a bunch a nothing. This novel is a bunch of words...a whole novel's worth of words... that end up saying nothing! This ends up being a book that was clearly written by someone with mental illness. There is a vague, very vague storyline if you can see through all the jumbled thoughts of the myriad of characters. There is no smooth transition from one character to another. The reader is just rambling around trying to figure out who is thinking what next and what is the purpose. Not enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jacob's Room.

03/19/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Nichole (new)

Nichole Maybe next time you should pick something a little easier to follow like "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie".

message 2: by Laurie (new) - added it

Laurie Robinson Too funny...you might be right. Based on your comment you must be a Woolf fan, and I am clearly not after this read. And, that's what's so good about this world...diversity.

Anne Blunsden How refreshingly honest Laurie. We don't have to like it just because it's Virginia Woolfe and we are supposed to. I haven't finished it yet but it's not a ripping good yarn is it?

Marian Swartz I agree...didn't like it. Don't feel like writing a pretentious review about it. I don't care "how" someone writes, if I have to reread and fight to understand what is going on, I'm just not that into it. And it has no bearing on my intellect; anyone is free to enjoy or to not enjoy someone's work of art. :)