Bookworm1858's Reviews > The Brightest Star in the Sky

466 pages
Fiction
4/5 stars

Source: Library

Summary: At 66 Star Street lives four unusual tenants. Katie turns 40 and ends up kicking her workaholic boyfriend Conall to the curb; Jemima whose foster son Fionn is coming to Dublin to have a gardening TV show; Lydia living in a small room as a tenant of Poles Andrei and Jan; and Matt and Maeve a married couple with a terrible secret. Keyes weaves their stories in and out to show the highs and lows of life.

Thoughts: I have read and enjoyed most of Keyes' previous books so I was looking forward to reading this hefty tome. Despite its length, it moved very quickly (much faster than say Pegasus) and I mostly enjoyed it.

There was an odd framing device that counted down from day 61 to an epilogue. The countdown worked but when the reason was revealed, I found it really weird although once you know, the reason connects to some passages in the book and makes sense. It was just really, really weird. I did enjoy the epilogue which tied up loose ends including a very satisfying revenge scene. The chapters alternate perspectives among the four apartments to provide the full story.

Now I read some reviews that felt there were too many characters. There are a lot of characters but I felt that I had just about the right amount of time with all of them although I would have spent more time with Katie and Conall. Speaking of Conall, his name as well as Fionn's jarred me; I guess they are traditional Irish names but I've never heard of them. So obviously Katie was my favorite. But I loved Lydia's brashness and Jemima's heart and I felt for Matt and Maeve. Their story has a strongly sad element that is carefully unpeeled on the way to the end. I enjoyed seeing how the characters intersected.

Overall: I really enjoyed this-it left a big impression on me.

Cover: Nothing extraordinary-it's difficult to tell in this picture but there are little golden pictures that reflect plot points.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brightest Star in the Sky.