Jeremy's Reviews > Fundamental Principles of the Metaphysics of Morals

Fundamental Principles of the Metaphysics of Morals by Immanuel Kant

Jul 10, 2010

bookshelves: philosophy

It's probably a product of having been in grad school for too long, but somehow I found myself really liking this piece. I don't even care that it's not applicable to real life, at least his methods are based on tying human action to univsersal principles that anyone can participate in instead of trying to create this really creepy classist/elitist system of morality which the ancient greeks oozed over. And unlike the clunky, inhuman ethical systems espoused by more anylitic thinkers, Kant is at least willing to acknowledge the connundrum of trying to act from a rational principle with no recourse to lived experience. And the way he tries to conceptually map out the different parts of the psyche, while it's probably wrong and kind of creepily mechanistic, is still a refreshing break from the messy, useless soup of abstractions that a lot of other thinkers would subsequently indulge in i.e. Hegel. If nothing else, it forced me to confront my own complacency about not even being willing to really listen to Kant's arguements.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fundamental Principles of the Metaphysics of Morals.

09/09/2016 marked as: read