Teresa's Reviews > The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor

The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

Jul 12, 10

liked it
Read in July, 2010

An interesting, well-written tale about a sailor's harrowing ten days on a lifeboat with no food or water. Because I'm willing to read anything Garcia Marquez writes, I learned some things I didn't know before about destroyers, gunwales, raw fish and 1950s Mobile, Alabama (where the journey starts) though these things are minor and likely to be known by many already.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor.

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia He wrote something that started in Alabama??

message 2: by Teresa (last edited Jul 14, 2010 10:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Teresa Cynthia wrote: "He wrote something that started in Alabama??"

Funny, huh. The destroyer and its crew had spent 8 or 9 months in Alabama while it was being repaired. (My husband said there was/is a big shipyard there.) They took off from Mobile with their contraband (destroyers aren't supposed to carry cargo). It's easy to forget, I think, how close the Southern U.S. is to Columbia, the destination of the ship. Another interesting thing was how the sailor said he could tell the exact moment when the ship left the Gulf of Mexico and was in the Caribbean.

This book is nonfiction, just in case I haven't made that clear, early journalism writing by GGM.

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Fascinating. What year was it written?

message 4: by Teresa (last edited Jul 14, 2010 10:17AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Teresa Cynthia wrote: "Fascinating. What year was it written?"

1955 originally, as a series of newspaper articles. I figured I'd like it since I loved his News of a Kidnapping, also nonfiction.

message 5: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Very timely...still situations we're dealing with currently, terrorism, being tried by a foreign government, drugs.....

Teresa Cynthia wrote: "Very timely...still situations we're dealing with currently, terrorism, being tried by a foreign government, drugs....."

It's been years since I read News of a Kidnapping but I remember it as being very, very compelling, but keep in mind this is the reaction of an almost exclusively fiction reader, and someone who loves GGM.

Maria I've read neither News nor Shipwrecked, and I'm sure, no, positive, his writing is compelling, as you say. Even now, his writing can NOT ever be complacent or sloppy. Although I haven't read the Melancholy Whores one, either.

Teresa Maria wrote: "Although I haven't read the Melancholy Whores one, either. "

I liked it, not a favorite, but still good.