Haven Fairfield's Reviews > Naked

M 50x66
Aug 24, 10

Recommended to Haven by: Mom
Read from July 10 to 31, 2010, read count: 0

David Sedaris is a confessional humorist. He gleans universal truths from his own experience. Nothing is out of bounds for Mr. Sedaris. In fact, the apparent bravado with which he divulges his deepest, darkest secrets seems to exist in direct contradiction with his various neuroses. He is self deprecating to a fault and equally ruthless in his observations of the people around him. It is a wonder his family and friends still love him. His portraits are often grotesque, even reminiscent of carnival mirrors. I found that just as I was ready to write off Mr. Sedaris as cold hearted or cruel, he would soften. He knows there are limits but he knows how to write as if there were no limits at all. There is an element of danger to his prose. At times I felt reviled only to be elated a few short sentences later. The essays in Naked mostly center around the Author's childhood and family. He spares no mercy for his parents and Grandparents. Hitchhiking was one of his favorite past times and affords Mr. Sedaris several harrowing and hilarious anecdotes. The title essay is by far the funniest. I hesitate to share anymore unless I give away the jokes.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked.