Bria's Reviews > The Sane Society

The Sane Society by Erich Fromm

Aug 20, 10

Recommended for: the insane
Read in July, 2010

It's a little difficult to unpack the parts that are mistaken or just products of the time, and those that at least so far still seem to be very true, since they are so well intertwined. But the basic message that the entire structure and expectations and ambitions of a society can, in fact, be insane I believe to be undoubtedly the case, and it's somewhat depressing to realize that this book was written 55 years ago, and that the message has been repeated, and even accepted and believed countless times in countless arenas and forms since then, and yet, here we still are. One must be careful, however, to not conclude that the problem is uniquely a modern Western one. Fromm focuses on those aspects since that is what he is experiencing, and there are insanities that are particular to this society, but that does not mean that other societies or eras were not insane in other ways, and it certainly does not mean that the past was better and we need to go back to that. There may very well be certain elements of human society that worked better for us in the past, but it seems inarguable that there are many ways in which there has been enormous progress, and I suppose I'm an optimist in that I believe it is possible to keep much of the progress and still yet find a way to not be insane.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sane Society.