Jessica's Reviews > The Mommy Myth: The Idealization of Motherhood and How It Has Undermined All Women

The Mommy Myth by Susan J. Douglas

F_50x66
Jul 10, 10

bookshelves: can-t-finish, parenting
Read in January, 2008

Interesting, but not for me. True, someone does need to breakthrough to helicopter moms and reassure them/us that they/we don't have to be everything to everyone all the time. But instead of feeling more at ease about what basic things mothers should do, their stories about how crazy-involved some mothers are gave me new tips about what I should feel like I should be doing. It's like writing a book about the nutty tricks anorexics use and about how skinny they are--only people who have a tendency toward anorexia will read it, and they will use it to beat themselves up for not being the "best" anorexic. Only women who feel they have to be supermoms will read it and they will inevitably feel guilty for not being the most extreme supermoms.

Also I couldn't agree with their recommendations to let kids watch Barney (seriously? How banal and annoying for parents) or to view Roseanne as a rolemodel superior to June Cleaver.

I'd recommend Perfect Madness by Judith Warner as a more appropriate salve for the ubermom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mommy Myth.